Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass
Stingrays Signees J.C. Brassard and Jake Kamrass
(South Carolina Stingrays, Credit: Russ Hons/UND Athletics, UMass-Lowell Athletics)
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Washington Capitals, have announced the signing of defenseman J.C. Brassard and forward Jake Kamrass Friday. Both have recently finished 4-year collegiate careers with Brassard playing for Union College in the ECAC while Kamrass attended UMass-Lowell in the Hockey East.
Brassard, a native of Scituate, Mass., had 21 points on the blue line for the Dutchmen this season with two goals and 19 assists in 37 games. Measuring 5-foot-11 and 180-pounds, Brassard appeared in 135 NCAA games and totaled 52 points (eight goals, 44 assists) from 2014-18. He has agreed to an amateur tryout contract with South Carolina.
Before enrolling at Union, the 22-year-old defenseman played three years in prep school at the Noble and Greenough School in Dedham, Mass. During the 2013-14 season, Brassard captained N&G to the Independent School League (ISL) title by recording 11 goals and 31 assists for 42 points in 27 games.
Kamrass suited up for 36 games this year with the Riverhawks, scoring 12 points on five goals and seven assists during his senior season. The 23-year-old played in 111 NCAA contests with UMass-Lowell from 2014-18 and piled up 46 points on 24 goals and 22 assists while helping lead his squad to Hockey East regular season and tournament championships in 2017. Kamrass has agreed to a standard professional contract with the Stingrays.
Prior to his time with UML, Kamrass played three seasons with the Topeka Roadrunners in the North American Hockey League (NAHL) from 2011-14, enjoying his best year during 2013-14 with 59 points on 24 goals and 35 assists in 60 games. The native of Atlanta, Ga. is brothers with current Florida Everblades defenseman Zack Kamrass.
Brassard will wear No. 13, while Kamrass will be No. 21. Both players are expected to be in the lineup for the Rays during Saturday's 7:05 p.m. game vs. Idaho.
South Carolina has also announced separate transactions Friday, placing forward Leo Fitzgerald and defenseman Mike Chen on team suspension. Fitzgerald, who will return to school at Bemidji State, had four points on a goal and three assists in three games. Chen suited up for 11 contests, scoring two goals and two assists along with seven penalty minutes.
Single-game tickets for all Stingrays home games during the 2017-18 season are on sale now at the North Charleston Coliseum Box Office and ticketmaster.com.
Group tickets for 10 or more fans are on sale now featuring discounted pricing and great benefits! For more information and to place an order call the Stingrays front office at 843-744-2248 or stop by 3300 W. Montague Ave. Suite A-200 during business hours.
Images from this story
Stingrays Signees J.C. Brassard and Jake Kamrass
(Russ Hons/UND Athletics, UMass-Lowell Athletics)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.