Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday
Norfolk, VA.- Christian Horn netted his second professional hat trick on Friday night as the Admirals cruised past the Swamp Rabbits 6-3.
Norfolk scored four consecutive goals to help the Admirals skate away from the Swamp Rabbits. The Admiral power play scored twice, giving the Admirals four power play goals in the last two games. Captain Brodie Dupont netted a season high four assists in the victory tonight. Christian Horn added an assist to his three goals, giving the forward a career high four points.
Greenville's Joe Basaraba gave the Swamp Rabbits the early lead just under five minutes into the game. The forward collected a loose puck at the left post and stepped out from behind the net. A quick wrap around beat Ty Reichenbach to the far post, opening the scoring. Late in the period it was the Norfolk power play that gave the Admirals offense a jump start. A double minor assessed to Garrett Clemment gave the Admirals four minutes on the man-advantage, and they took advantage. Brodie Dupont took a slap shot from the right side that kicked off the shin pads of a defender and right to Christian Horn. Using the deflection as a pass, Horn one-timed the puck into the top corner, tying the game at 1-1. Three minutes later the forward struck again. Sitting in the right corner, Dupont sent a cross-ice feed to Horn. Horn gathered in the puck, hesitated and wristed a shot into the top corner of the net. The two power play goals gave the Admirals a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission.
In the second the Swamp Rabbits struck first again, tying the game at 2-2. Dawson Leedahl gathered the puck on the half wall and connected with Sean Flanagan crashing the net. Drawing the goaltender toward him, Flanagan sent a pass back door to Josh Henke who tapped it home to tie the game. It would remain tied for less than five minutes. Domenic Alberga collected the puck in front of the Norfolk bench before finding Alex Pompeo heading to the net. Pompeo wasted no time, sending a low slap shot past Rimmer giving the Admirals a 3-2 lead. Five minutes later the Horn completed the hat trick. Stepping into the offense zone on the right-wing side, Horn cut towards the middle and lasered a shot into the top right corner, doubling the Admirals lead, and finishing the hat trick.
In the third the Admirals would score twice more to push the lead to 6-2. On a delayed penalty in front of the net Grant Besse drilled a one-timer from Dupont home to give Norfolk a three-goal lead with 11:51 to play in regulation. With less than five minutes to play in regulation Domenic Alberga pushed the lead to four. Alberga caused a turnover, taking the puck deep in the Greenville zone, before wristing the puck past Rimmer. The goal gave Alberga a multipoint game for the second straight night, and goals in back-to-back games. Greenville scored less than a minute later to bring the lead back to three goals, but that would round out the scoring.
When the final horn sounded the Admirals skated off with a 6-3 victory, their sixth straight home victory. Ty Reichenbach made 25 saves in the victory for the Admirals. Norfolk finished the night 2-for-3 on the man-advantage.
Norfolk looks to complete the season sweep of the Swamp Rabbits tomorrow night on St. Hatrick's Night at 7:00 pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.