Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades
.WHO: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades
VENUE: Germain Arena, Estero, Fla.
DATE: Friday, March 16, 7:30 p.m.
LISTEN: OSB Radio via Mixlr
TONIGHT: The Solar Bears (30-26-6-1) battle the Florida Everblades (42-12-2-4) tonight as their three-game weekend set shifts to southwest Florida. The Everblades have already clinched a playoff spot, while Orlando owns a 3-6-3-0 record against the Everblades this season and is still in the postseason hunt after earning a point in last night's 2-1 overtime loss.
PLAYOFF PICTURE: Orlando sits in third place in the South Division, with a six-point cushion on fourth-place Atlanta (idle tonight) with one game in hand. The magic number for the Solar Bears to earn a spot in the 2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs currently sits at seven points, and could drop with any points earned by Orlando tonight.
NEARING THE FINAL STRETCH: With a final nine-game segment remaining in the 2017-18 campaign, the Solar Bears will look to surpass the 5-3-1-0 record the team posted at the end of the previous season - Orlando managed to clinch a spot in the 2017 playoffs in the second-to-last game of the season.
EXTRA TIME SUITING BEARS FINE: Thursday's game gave Orlando its 15th match of the season that went beyond regulation time - the team is three games away from matching the club mark of 18 set during the 2015-16 campaign. The Solar Bears have already won six games in the overtime period this season, which ties the franchise mark from two seasons ago.
FEJES CONTINUES HOT PLAY: With four points in his last three games, Hunter Fejes has been able to eclipse the 50-point mark for the season, which he has split between Orlando and Wheeling. The second-year forward has generated seven points (3g-4a) in his last nine games, helping the Solar Bears to a 7-1-1 record in that span.
Hunter Fejes - 3-game point streak (1g-3a)
Max Novak - 1 assist from 50 career pro assists
Eric Baier - 1 assist to tie Eric Faille and Denver Manderson for franchise record for assists (79)
Joe Perry - 3 goals from 50 with Solar Bears
AFFILIATE NOTES: The Toronto Marlies (43-16-1-1) seek a fifth consecutive win tonight when they take on the Belleville Senators on the road. The Toronto Maple Leafs (42-22-6-1) picked up a 5-2 win in Buffalo on Thursday, and square off against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday.
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears complete their regular season Wawa Sunshine Cup Series with the Florida Everblades on Saturday, March 17 at 7 p.m. from Germain Arena. Orlando returns home to face the South Carolina Stingrays on Wednesday, March 21. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier "AA" hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL's Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Fiesta Four Packs, presented by CenturyLink, are now available for purchase! Pick four games and get gift certificates to Sonny's BBQ, Dick's Sporting Goods, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to Noche Latina game, presented by Auto Justice Attorney Michael T. Gibson on Friday, March 23! Packs start as low as $64 and include $68 in FREE gifts! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased online at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- PHPA and ECHL Announce COVID-19 Relief Fund for ECHL Players
- Clint Windsor Signed by Syracuse Crunch
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 ECHL Season
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on ECHL Suspending Season
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Stingrays