Railers Tie Season Series
WORCESTER, MA - The Wheeling Nailers and Worcester Railers will see their season series come down to a decisive ninth game on Wednesday night at WesBanco Arena. On Friday night, Worcester evened the set at four wins each, scoring four times in the second period for a 6-1 triumph. Danny Fick was the lone goal scorer for the Nailers.
After a scoreless first period, Worcester jumped ahead with a big start to the middle frame. The first goal came at the 2:02 mark, when Matthew Gaudreau skated into the left circle, and briefly hesitated, before snapping in a wrist shot. 23 seconds later, the Nailers were the victims of an unfortunate break. Ryan MacKinnon's shot was tipped on net by Chris Langkow. Adam Morrison made the save, but a teammate gloved the rebound in behind him for the tally. The third marker came off of a quick passing play, as Nick Saracino found Barry Almeida on the left side of the slot. Less than two minutes after that, Jeff Kubiak deposited the rebound of MacKinnon's attempt.
The Nailers got on the scoreboard at the 9:58 mark of the third period. Kevin Spinozzi dished a pass across the blueline to Danny Fick, who wired in a one-timer from the left point. Worcester tacked on two more goals at the end, as Woody Hudson stashed in the rebound of Yanick Turcotte's shot, and Frankie DiChiara converted on a power play in the final minute for a 6-1 score.
Mitch Gillam got the win for the Railers, making 28 saves on 29 shots. Adam Morrison took the loss for Wheeling, allowing four goals on 21 shots, before giving way to Matt O'Connor, who stopped 16 of 18 shots in relief.
The Nailers will have a quick turnaround, finishing their road trip with a 3:00 game against the Adirondack Thunder on Saturday. Wheeling's next home game is a WesBanco Winning Wednesday against the Worcester Railers on March 21st at 7:05. The next big promotional game is Fan Appreciation Night on March 31st at 7:05 against the Manchester Monarchs. Fan Appreciation Night will feature a diamond ring giveaway for one lucky fan, a team trading card set for the first 2,500 fans, a full team post game autograph session, and various prizes throughout the game. There is also a Family Four Pack for Fan Appreciation Night, in which fans can get four tickets, four hats, and four McDonald's Meal Vouchers for $56. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.