Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville
Norfolk, VA - The final three-in-three of the season begins on Friday evening at the Scope as the Admirals head into the final ten games of the season hosting the Swamp Rabbits.
Admirals (23-32-6-1) vs Greenville (21-33-7-1)
Big Weekend Ahead:
The Admirals prepare for the final three-in-three of the season as they take on the Swamp Rabbits on Friday and Saturday, before hosting Jacksonville on Sunday. Saturday night will be St. Hatrick's night presented by Papco and will feature green ice and green jerseys. The jerseys will be auctioned off on the ice immediately after the game with all the proceeds going to MDA. Saturday night will also feature $0.50 hot dogs courtesy of Smithfield. The Admirals wrap up the weekend on Sunday taking on Jacksonville and fans are invited to join the team on the ice afterwards for a post-game skate.
Friday and Saturday's matchups between Greenville and Norfolk are the final two meetings of the season between the teams. The Admirals have controlled the season series winning each of the first four matchups, two in Greenville and two in Norfolk.
Through the first four games of the season series the Admirals have outscored the Swamp Rabbits 20-7. Captain Brodie Dupont leads the way against his former squad with ten points (4g, 6a). Dupont is one of five different Admirals to have recorded multiple goals through the first four games. Prior to being recalled to Syracuse TJ Melancon led all skaters with six goals in the season series. Rookie Grant Besse is second among Norfolk skaters with eight points (2g, 6a), while Patrick D'Amico is right on his tail with seven points (3g, 4a). Joe Basaraba has been the most productive Swamp Rabbit against the Admirals with three points (1g, 2a). No current Swamp Rabbit has scored multiple goals against the Admirals in the series.
Ty Reichenbach and Jamie Murray have each faced the Swamp Rabbits twice, claiming a pair of victories. Ty Rimmer has started three of the four matchups for Greenville, going 0-3-0-0 with a 6.02 goals against average and a .840 save percentage.
Scouting the Swamp Rabbits:
Greenville heads into the weekend's games with only one win in their last ten, however four of the last eight games have gone past regulation. The Swamp Rabbits head into the weekend three points back from the Admirals in the South Division
Rookie Evan Jasper leads the Swamp Rabbits offense this season with 44 points (18g, 26a) in 57 games. Joe Basaraba ranks second on the team, and is the only other active player to surpass the 40 point mark, with 42 points (16g, 26a) in 61 games. The forward has played the most games of any Swamp Rabbit this season.
Netminder Ty Rimmer has played in the bulk of the Greenville games (37) posting a record of 12-20-1-1 with a 3.99 goals against average and a .897 save percentage.
Lots of New Faces:
The Norfolk lineup will feature several new faces on Friday night after the team added five new players after the conclusion of the college hockey season. On Wednesday afternoon the Admirals signed defensemen Zane Schartz from Liberty University (ACHA D1), Alec Brandrup from Norwich University (NCAA D3) as well as forwards Jordan Haskell and Ben Greiner from Hobart College (NCAA D3). On Thursday the Admirals added yet another face into the lineup with the signing of forward TJ Moore from Holy Cross (NCAA D1).
Keeping the Streak Alive:
Heading into Friday the Admirals have won each of their last five games at home dating back to February 16. The five-game streak is the longest since the 2013-14 season when the Admirals also won five-straight at home. The longest home winning-streak dating back to the 2005-06 season came during the Admirals 28-game win streak when Norfolk won 15 straight.
After a Thursday night victory for the Icemen, Norfolk finds themselves tied for fifth place with Jacksonville, eight points back from fourth place Atlanta. Both Norfolk and Jacksonville have a pair of games in hand on the Gladiators. Orlando, in 3rd place in the division, sits 14 points clear of the Admirals and Icemen.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.