Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win
(RAPID CITY, SD) - Peter Sivak and Andrew Radjenovic led a rally to tie the game heading into the third period, but a lucky bounce off of Mark MacMillan's skate proved to be the game-winner, giving the Wichita Thunder a 3-2 win over the Rapid City Rush on Friday night.
Both team skated to a scoreless deadlock after 20 minutes of play, then exploded for a combined 4 goals in the middle frame, remaining deadlocked heading into the third. Ralph Cuddemi started the scoring entries at 4:44 of the first period, deflecting a Jeremy Beaudry blue line shot by Rush net-minder Adam Vay to give the Thunder a 1-0 lead (Beaudry and Mark MacMillan assisted). On the unluckiest of bounces, Ryan Van Stralen attempted a cross-ice pass in the Rush zone, and it deflected off of the stick of Ian Brady and into the Rush net through the legs of Vay, giving the Thunder a 2-0 lead with 5:42 left in the second (the goal was unassisted). Undeterred, the Rush managed to mount a comeback and square the game up before the end of the second period. With 4:05 left in the second, Peter Sivak rifled a shot from the left wing circle by a screened Nick Riopel in Wichita's net, cutting the deficit to 2-1 (Jack Walker and Andrew Radjenovic assisted). Radjenovic then followed up his linemate's tally with his third in the last two games, and with 63 seconds left in the second, fired a shot from the right wing faceoff circle that whizzed by Riopel to square the game at 2-2 (Walker had the lone assist).
Wichita then capitalized on another lucky bounce to eventually take the win. With 6:20 gone by in the third, Ralph Cuddemi broke the Rush blue line and threw the puck to the slot, intended for Mark MacMillan. The puck bounced off of his skate, and through Vay's legs, and gave Wichita a 3-2 lead (Cuddemi had the lone assist). There was a question on the play of whether or not Cuddemi was offside entering the Rush zone, but after an official's conference, it was determined that the goal would stand as called. Riopel and the Thunder held off the Rush in the final minutes to take a 3-2 win.
Adam Vay stopped 32 of 35 shots, suffering the loss (12-16-1-1).
The Rush finish their series against the Wichita Thunder this weekend, playing on St. Patrick's Day with special jerseys to be auctioned off after the game. Puck drop at Premier Home Mortgage Ice in Rushmore Plaza Civic Center is slated for 7:05 p.m. MST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.