MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush
Rapid City, SD - Mark MacMillan scored six minutes into the third period and Nick Riopel held off a late push from Rapid City, winning 3-2 on Friday night at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
Ralph Cuddemi and Mark MacMillan each had two points while Riopel stopped 33 shots to earn his 15th win of the year.
After the two teams failed to find the back of the net in the first, they combined for four in the second. Cuddemi gave Wichita a 1-0 lead at 4:44, tipping a shot from Jeremy Beaudry through Adam Vay for his 27th of the year. Ryan Van Stralen made it 2-0 at 14:19 as he got some help from Ian Brady. He was trying to clear the puck to the corner, but accidentally swept a backhand through Vay. The Rush quickly got back into the game as Peter Sivak scored at 15:55 with a wrist shot from the left circle. Andrew Radjenovic tied it at 18:57 as he fired a wrist shot from the right boards past Riopel.
In the third, MacMillan helped Wichita re-gain the lead at 6:20. He dished it off to Cuddemi, went hard to the net and the puck glanced off his skate through Vay. Rapid City argued the goal not only for kicking the puck in, but for off-side as well. The marker would stand and Wichita went up 3-2. The Rush had several chances late, but Riopel stood firm and helped the Thunder to their 33rd win of the year.
Cuddemi has a goal and an assist in four of his last outings. MacMillan has goals in back-to-back games. Van Stralen continues to stay hot, recording his fifth goal of the year.
Wichita went 0-for-2 on the power play. Rapid City was 0-for-1 on the man advantage.
The Thunder closes their season-series against Rapid City tomorrow night at 8:05 p.m. CST.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $50 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.