KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa
TULSA, Okla. - The Kansas City Mavericks (30-28-2-2) dropped the front end of a Friday-Saturday home-and-home to the Tulsa Oilers (28-24-3-8) by a 5-3 final score Friday night at the B.O.K. Center.
Down 3-0 after two periods, the Mavericks scored the first two goals of the third to put pressure on the home team, but Tulsa responded with two of their own to put the game out of reach in the late stages.
After a scoreless first frame, the Oilers burst for three goals in the middle period, including their first two coming just 80 seconds apart. Dylan Hubbs lit the lamp at 5:12 followed by Joey Sides at 6:32. Eric Drapluk scored the third to claim a commanding 3-0 edge.
The Mavericks struck back to start the third period, Nate Widman claiming his fourth of the campaign to cut the deficit to two. Jared VanWormer followed suit nearly 10 minutes later, cutting the 3-1 deficit in half.
Sam Wilbur responded, scoring his first professional goal with four minutes remaining in the game to put it out of reach, and a lamp lighter from Charlie Sampair on an empty net sealed the win for Tulsa before Mark Cooper tickled the twine to produce the 5-3 final score.
The Mavericks return to action Saturday night as they host the Oilers at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena for Fan Appreciation Night at 7:05. Tickets for the game are still available.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.