Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers broke a scoreless game open with a three-goal second period Friday and held off a Kansas Mavericks third period comeback in a 5-3 win at the BOK Center.
The teams skated through a scoreless first period, as Jake Hildebrand only saw four shots in the frame, and Maveric Parks stopped all 11 Oilers attempts. The Mavericks were unsuccessful on the only power play for either side in the frame.
Tulsa's offense exploded for three goals in the middle stanza to grab a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes. Dylan Hubbs cleaned up a rebound in front of the net to put the Oilers on the board 5:12 into the period, and Joey Sides bunted in a centering pass out of the air that came from the corner 1:20 after Hubbs' goal. Later in the period, Eric Drapluk broke free in the right circle and ripped a wrist shot past Parks to add to the lead.
The Mavericks closed the gap with back-to-back goals from Nate Widman and Jared VanWormer in the third period, but Oilers rookie Sam Wilbur buried his first goal as a pro to put Tulsa back ahead 4-2. Charlie Sampair added an empty net goal, before Mark Cooper gave Kansas City late life with the Mavericks third goal in the final minutes. The Oilers closed out the victory thanks, in part, to 28 saves from Hildebrand in his first appearance since February 7.
The Oilers head to Independence, MO Saturday for the final meeting of the year with the Mavericks at 7:05pm at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Catch the action on the Sports Animal in Tulsa, www.tulsaoilers.com, or ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2018
- Sholl Earns Second Straight Shutout over Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Novak Scores for Solar Bears in 3-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Lucky Bounce Gives Wichita Win - Rapid City Rush
- MacMillan Pushes Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Bounced in Cincinnati - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Burn Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye Survive Mallard Comeback Bid - Quad City Mallards
- Horn's Hat Trick Helps Admirals Skate Away with 6-3 Victory on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Spread Around Scoring in Win over Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Score Season High Six Goals in Big Win over Nailers - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Shine in 3-2 Overtime Win over Komets - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Bear Down on Grizzlies, 5-4, in Overtime - Manchester Monarchs
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Fall to Admirals Second Half Surge - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Tie Season Series - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Forward Garrett Thompson Called up to Iowa - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at South Carolina - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Adds Two in Advance of Tonight's Game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Mallards Sign Rookie Shea to Tryout - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs sign Jared Kolquist and Colton Saucerman heads to Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Swamp Rabbits Step into Norfolk for Two - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Bring in College Forward - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Final Three-In-Three Kicks off against Greenville - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Railers Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 16 - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Gameday - Adirondack (34-21-3-4) vs. Fort Wayne (42-16-2-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Cyclones Sign Berrafato - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 24
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period
- Oilers Fall to Americans for Fifth Time this Season
- Devin Williams Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week for Third Time