Steelheads Slip in Weekend Finale to Utah, 6-3
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Idaho Steelheads (19-14-1) could not complete the comeback in a 6-3 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (22-12-2) on Monday afternoon from Maverik Center.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Grizzlies put up pressure early and earned the first goal of the game shorthanded in the first period to take the advantage into the second period. The Steelheads jumped back in with back-to-back goals including a deflection from forward Luc Brown (PP, 0:19 2nd) on the second shift of the period and a one-timer by forward David Norris (6:22 2nd) to gain the 2-1 lead. However, the Grizzlies answered with back-to-back goals within one minute of each other to take back the lead, 3-2. The Grizzlies then scored three goals in six minutes to open up the game, and though Steelheads defenseman Casey Johnson (9:52 3rd) added one back later in the game, the Grizzlies took the 6-3 result.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. UTA - Mason Mannek (goal, 2 assists)
2. UTA - Quinn Ryan (goal, assist)
3. UTA - Connor McDonald (goal)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Luc Brown (F) - goal, assist
- Luc Brown: Brown posted another goal in today's game and closes the weekend with four points in two games. Brown leads all active ECHL rookie skaters with 30 points (12-18-30).
- David Norris: Norris found the back of the net for the first time since November 10, breaking a 21-game goal drought. Norris now owns three goals and nine points on the season.
- Max Martin: In just three-career ECHL games this week, Martin has been a boost to the team's defense netting assists in back-to-back games. He owned five points in 14 AHL games prior to his assignment.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads and Grizzlies split their six-game stretch with three wins each though the Grizzlies technically took more points due to the shootout result on January 8. The Steelheads and Grizzlies each took two of three games in their respective home buildings as well as netted six goals in a game at least once. The Steelheads outscored the Grizzlies 21-18 over the last two weeks and netted power play goals in four of six games. The Steelheads trail the Grizzlies by seven points for the top spot in the Mountain Division.
The Steelheads continue their six-game road trip with the first of three games against the Rapid City Rush on Friday, Jan. 21 at 7:05 p.m. from Monument Ice Arena. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 95.3 KTIK "The Ticket" & FloHockey.tv.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2022
- Gould Scores as ECHL All-Stars Beat Jacksonville - Allen Americans
- ECHL All-Stars Victorious in 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Grizz Win Series with 6-3 Monday Victory - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Acquire Andrew Shewfelt from Wichita Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Slip in Weekend Finale to Utah, 6-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 17 - ECHL
- Brett Marietti Inducted to ECHL Hall of Fame - South Carolina Stingrays
- Second Period Goal Explosion Leads to 6-4 Win over Worcester - Reading Royals
- Railers Comeback Falls Short, as Royals Win 6-4 - Worcester Railers HC
- Vilio Records Hat Trick in Glads Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- McCarron Sets Everblades Career Points Mark in Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender of the Year Award Named in Honor of Nick Vitucci - Toledo Walleye
- Goaltender of the Year Award Named in Honor of Nick Vitucci - ECHL
- Thunder Weekly, January 17 - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report: January 17, 2022 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Grizzlies Gameday: Miner Returns for MLK 1 PM Game - Utah Grizzlies
- The Trois-Rivières Lions: The Best-Represented Team at the All-Star Classic - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Bibeau to Backup in Seattle this Afternoon - Allen Americans
- Jason Payne Named Assistant Coach for ECHL All-Star Classic - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Brad Barone Added to Roster for 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - Orlando Solar Bears
- Following a Humbling 2020-21 Season, Logan Nelson Reaches New Heights with Rapid City - Rapid City Rush
- Florek Added to ECHL All-Star Classic - South Carolina Stingrays
- Roster Changes Announced for Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Everblades Trade for Defenseman Christian Hausinger - Florida Everblades
- Toledo Walleye Weekly No. 13: January 17, 2022 - Toledo Walleye
- Everblades and Gladiators to Open Three-Game Week on Monday - Florida Everblades
- MLK Day Matchup with Worcester Set for 1:00 p.m. Puck Drop - Reading Royals
- Glads Aim for Fifth Straight Home Win - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.