Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1
ALBANY, N.Y. (April 11, 2014) - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers lost to the Albany Devils Friday night by a final score of 2-1. Jesse Graham notched his first career professional goal in the second period, but Kelly Zajac had a pair of markers for the Devils. Philippe Trudeau made the start in net for the Sound Tigers and made 25 saves.
The game stayed scoreless through most of the first period, but a unfortunate bounce for the Sound Tigers lead to the first goal of the contest. Dan Kelly threw a puck out in front that deflected up in the air. Alan Quine tried to bat the puck away from his goal, but in doing so, sent it off of Zajac and past Trudeau to make it a 1-0 game.
The Sound Tigers evened the score in the second period with a power-play goal in the late stages of the second period. The Devils took two penalties within 24 seconds of each other and gave the Sound Tigers an extended two-man advantage. Graham and Aaron Ness inched in from the point and Ness sent the puck across Graham, who blasted a slap shot past Devils goaltender Keith Kinkaid and in to tie the score at one.
Zajac's second goal of the game came early in the third period and gave the Devils a lead they would never relinquish. With the puck behind the Sound Tigers net, Stefan Matteau sent it out in front towards Zajac. Zajac was able to bat the puck out of mid-air and beat Trudeau to give the Devils a 2-1 lead.
The Sound Tigers pulled Trudeau in favor of the extra attacker with 1:40 left in the third, but were unable to sustain enough pressure to pick up the game-tying goal. The Devils hung on for the win in the final game of the season series between the two teams.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Gibson Named Bridgeport's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Statement from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bellows, St. Denis each score twice and Gibson makes 44 saves on Wednesday
- Sound Tigers Host Toronto Tonight
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 23