Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch have earned points in three consecutive games, but fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 3-2, in a shootout tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
The loss drops the Crunch's overall record to 29-30-4-7. Tonight's game concludes the 10-game season series with the Penguins who earned a 7-2-0-1 mark in the series with the crunch.
Each team scored twice on the man-advantage, with the Crunch going two-for-two and the Penguins two-for-seven. Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun allowed two goals on 25 shots in his first game since being assigned to W-B/Scranton from Pittsburgh on a conditioning stint, while stopping four shootout attempts. Crunch netminder Cedrick Desjardins allowed two goals on 31 shots and two goals on five shootout attempts.
The Penguins took a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal 4:56 into the opening frame. Andrew Ebbett fed Chuck Kobasew, whose shot from the top of the left circle evaded Desjardins. Brian Dumoulin picked up the secondary assist.
The Crunch retaliated with a power-play goal of their own at the 8:18 mark of the first period. Vladislav Namestnikov's blast from the right circle snuck between Vokoun's pads to knot the score at 1-1. Dmitry Korobov and Brett Connolly earned assists on the play.
The Crunch power play unit struck again to go ahead, 2-1, with 3:51 to play in the period. After drawing a slashing call against Penguins Carter Rowney, Jonathan Marchessault threw the puck on net from the left circle, where it was redirected past Vokoun by Jon DiSalvatore.
The Penguins evened the score at 2-2, 7:28 into the second period. With the Crunch serving a minor for too many men on the ice, Kobasew backhanded a rebound past Desjardins for his second power-play goal of the game. Machacek and Dumoulin were credited with the helpers.
Neither team was able to score in the third period or overtime frame, forcing a shootout. Vokoun stopped all four Crunch shooters, while Anton Zlobin and Spencer Machacek each scored to hand the Penguins the 3-2 victory.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Fuel the Force Initiative with Tully's Good Times and CopperTop Tavern
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Clint Windsor to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Issue Statement Regarding the Suspension of the 2019-20 Season