Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win
ALBANY, NY - Kelly Zajac netted a pair of goals and Keith Kinkaid made 22 saves, helping the Albany Devils to a 2-1 victory against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Friday at Times Union Center.
Both of Zajac's goals can be classified unusual. The first deflected off his head and in and the second - the game-winning goal - was batted out of midair, hit Bridgeport netminder Philippe Trudeau's leg and inched just inside the left post.
"I didn't even know that went off my head," Zajac said. "I just tried to stay in front of the net and that second one was like an inside pitch and just tried to knock it down, got a lucky bounce and it went in."
The victory was much needed for the Devils, who are trying to secure their first playoff berth since the 2009-10 season. Albany sits in seventh place with 85 points (36-23-5-8) and trails sixth-place Providence by three points. The two teams meet Saturday at 5 pm at Times Union Center. Additionally, the Devils are two points ahead of eighth-place Hershey and three ahead of ninth-place Norfolk.
"We have to worry about tomorrow night, just keep getting points here and moving forward and we'll be fine," said Head Coach Rick Kowalsky.
Friday's win was the seventh against the Sound Tigers this season and Keith Kinkaid improved to 6-0-0 against Bridgeport. He made four saves in the first, 11 in the second and seven in the third for his 22nd victory of the season and first since Mar. 7.
"Finally got the monkey off my back," Kinkaid said. "There were a few games we were winning and then they tied it at the end. It feels real good to finally get that win again and hopefully this is a winning streak to come."
Offensively, Zajac's first goal came at 18:52 of the first period. Dan Kelly sent a pass towards the front of the net. The puck floated in the air, hit off a Bridgeport player's glove and off Zajac's noggin.
Bridgeport tied the game early in the second period, taking advantage of five-on-three power play. Jesse Graham's first career AHL goal sailed over the right shoulder of Keith Kinkaid at 14:27.
In the third, Stefan Matteau made a waist-high pass from behind the net to a cutting Zajac, who redirected the puck for his 12th goal of the season at 5:08. The goal secured Zajac's 12th multiple-point game of the year.
Saturday's game is part of "Military Appreciation Day." All active and retired services members will receive free admission by showing proper identification at the Times Union Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.