Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1
DES MOINES, Iowa --- Goaltender Jake Allen saw his shutout bid spoiled with 1:35 remaining as the Chicago Wolves skated to a dominant 4-1 win over the Iowa Wild on Friday night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Center Alexandre Bolduc stepped up to lead the Wolves offense with two goals, including one shorthanded marker. Left wing Sergey Andronov opened scoring on the power play and right wing Shane Harper added a goal in the second period.
The Wolves (41-20-5-5) got on the board late in the opening period. On Chicago's first power play of the game, left wing Derek Nesbitt set up defenseman Joe Corvo for a rocket from the middle of the blue line. Andronov, stationed in front of the net, got his stick on Corvo's shot to redirect the puck past Iowa goaltender Cody Reichard at 16:41.
The special teams came through again for Chicago in the second period as they used a misplay by Iowa (27-34-6-4) to tally shorthanded at 8:24. A Wild forward caromed the puck off the boards in an attempt to hit a teammate, but it went to center ice instead. Bolduc used his speed to beat the Iowa defenders and scored blocker-side on a breakaway.
Chicago did not sit back as they took a three-goal lead one minute, 32 seconds later. Wild center Zack Phillips sent a pass through the middle of his defensive zone that was intercepted by Wolves center Pat Cannone. Cannone threaded a pass to Harper moving in on the net for a move to bury it top-corner.
Bolduc added his second of the night at 15:07 in the third period to make the score 4-0. Right wing Michael Davies intercepted a Wild pass and put a shot on net, which Bolduc chipped up and over a sprawled Reichard.
Iowa got on the board with a power-play goal from the crease by right wing Marc Hagel at 18:25 to thwart Allen's bid for his seventh shutout of the season and the Wolves franchise record.
Allen improved to 31-16-3 on the season with 22 saves while Reichard (1-1-0) made 31 stops in the loss.
The Wolves travel to Milwaukee for an Amtrak Rivalry showdown at 7 p.m. Saturday before hosting Rockford at 3 p.m. Sunday in an Illinois Lottery Cup game at Allstate Arena. For ticket specials for this game as well as Calder Cup playoff games, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Thirty-Eight Chicago Wolves on NHL Playoff Rosters
- Chicago Wolves Receive AHL's Community Service Award
- Downers Grove Man Wins Chicago Wolves' Sprint Power Play Payday Contest
- Chicago Wolves' 2019-20 Season Canceled
- Chicago Wolves to Relive 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs Run