Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient
Des Moines, IA - The Iowa Wild, in conjunction with the American Hockey League (AHL), announced on Friday that Jake Dowell of the Iowa Wild has been named the 2013-14 winner of the Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award as the AHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of sportsmanship, determination and dedication to hockey.
The award is voted on by coaches, players and members of the media in each of the league's 30 cities.
Dowell has served as captain of the Wild during the team's first season in Iowa while also dealing with personal tragedy. Dowell's father, John, passed away in February after a lengthy battle with Huntington's disease, a debilitating genetic neurological disorder which also affects his older brother, Luke. Dowell's openness about his family's fight with Huntington's disease and his advocacy for a cure has brought national awareness to the cause, while Dowell and his Wild teammates have taken part in charity drives and fundraisers for research.
A native of Eau Claire, Wis., Dowell has remained a leader on the ice in Des Moines throughout his trying season, appearing in 54 games with Iowa as well as one with the Wild's NHL affiliate in Minnesota, with whom he is currently on recall. The seventh-year pro out of the University of Wisconsin has played 157 career games in the NHL with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota, along with 302 career AHL contests with Iowa, Houston, Rockford and Norfolk. He was originally drafted by the Blackhawks in 2004.
This award, which was first presented by the AHL in 1978, honors the late Fred T. Hunt, a long-time contributor to the league who won three Calder Cup championships as a player and three more as a general manager during a career spent primarily with the AHL's Buffalo Bisons and the NHL's Buffalo Sabres. Previous winners of the award include: Ross Yates (1983), Glenn Merkosky (1987, '91), Bruce Boudreau (1988), Murray Eaves ('89, '90), John Anderson (1992), Tim Tookey (1993), Ken Gernander (1996, 2004), Randy Cunneyworth (2000), Mike Keane (2007), Ajay Baines (2009), Casey Borer (2010), Bryan Helmer (2011), Chris Minard (2012) and Brandon Davidson (2013).
Iowa returns home for Fan Appreciation Weekend on Friday, Apr. 11 and Sunday, Apr. 13. As part of Fan Appreciation Weekend, the Wild will be handing out numerous prizes, including a team poster. Friday's game starts at 7:05 p.m. against the Chicago Wolves at Wells Fargo Arena. It marks the final $2 Beer Night of the season, presented by 100.3 The Bus (only through first period for fans 21 and over). The team is also hosting a Book Drive, benefitting the Southeast Polk School District for a summer reading program. After a road game in Rockford on Apr. 12, the team returns home on Sunday, Apr. 13 at 5:05 p.m. to host the Milwaukee Admirals. Sunday's game features the Subway Family Four Pack, which includes four tickets, four hotdogs, four sodas and four Subway BOGO (buy on get one free) coupons, starting as low as $44. Fans may also skate on the ice after the game in the final postgame skate of the year. The Wild welcomes Chicago for the final regular season home game on Wednesday, April 16 at 7:05 p.m. Fans may purchase a $5 ticket to the game by presenting a Subway receipt at the Wells Fargo box office.
Fans may purchase single game tickets multiple ways, either through the team's website - www.Iowawild.com, Wells Fargo Arena box office or Dahl's Ticketing. Tickets are available online at www.iowawild.com under the single game tickets tab. Fans may also purchase tickets by calling 1-866-55-DAHLS (32457) or by visiting one of 13 Dahl's Food Stores locations in the greater Des Moines area, and in Ames. In order to purchase group tickets (10 or more), please call the Iowa Wild ticketing department at 515-564-8700. Fans interested in buying full season, or smaller season packages may call the Iowa Wild front office at 515-564-8700.
The Iowa Wild regular season is presented by Mercy Medical Center. Season tickets to see the Wild play at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $9 per game. For more information on tickets, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.