Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse
SYRACUSE, NY - Tomas Vokoun made his return to the ice a successful one, stopping 23 shots through regulation and overtime, then turning aside all four shootout attempts he saw, to help the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to a 3-2 win against the Syracuse Crunch on Friday night.
Vokoun, who last played in an AHL game 15 years and 364 days ago (a 2-1 Fredericton loss against St. John's on April 12, 1998), saw his first action of the season after developing a blood clot in his hip during Pittsburgh Penguins training camp in September.
The win, coupled with overtime losses by the Hershey Bears and Norfolk Admirals, dropped the Penguins' (41-23-3-5, 90 points) magic number to clinch a 12th consecutive playoff spot to one point.
While Vokoun, a veteran of 700 NHL games, handled the defensive duties, it was Chuck Kobasew, a seasoned scorer with 600 games in the NHL, who handled the offensive side of things.
Entering the game with eight goals in 10 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Kobasew sandwiched a pair of power play tallies around man advantage goals from the Crunch's Vladislav Namestnikov and Jon DiSalvatore, accounting for all of the regulation scoring on the night.
Anton Zlobin scored on the Penguins' first shootout attempt, and Spencer Machacek beat Cedric Desjardins in the fifth round, while Vokoun shut out the home squad in the shootout round to record the victory.
Andrew Ebbett assisted on Kobasew's first period goal to extend his team-record assist streak to 12 games.
The Penguins can sew up a playoff spot tomorrow night when they host the Binghamton Senators at 7:05pm. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton finishes up its 2013-14 home schedule on Sunday afternoon when the Toronto Marlies visit at 4:05pm.
Good seats for the final two Penguins regular season home games are available at the arena box office, online at TicketMaster.com or by calling 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.