Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons (45-21-1-5) defeated the Portland Pirates by the final score of 5-2 Friday night at the MassMutual Center, matching a franchise record for most wins in a season with 45. The 1997-98 and 2012-13 teams also won 45 games.
The Falcons scored four unanswered goals to dissolve a 2-1 deficit at the end of 20 minutes. Cody Goloubef, who scored on a shot from the point just 0:11 into the game, notched the only Springfield tally in the opening frame. Goloubef also added an assist and finished the contest with a +3 rating.
Patrick McNeill netted the game-winning goal at 18:39 of the second period, as he ripped a one-timer from the right-wing circle on a 4-on-3 power play to give Springfield a 3-2 lead. McNeill's goal was his 11th of the season, leading all Falcons defensemen.
Rookie Marko Dano registered a goal and an assist, notching his second pro goal in North America at the 6:15 mark of the second period. Dano has totaled five points (two goals, three assists) in six games since joining Springfield from Bratislava Slovan of the Kontinental Hockey League.
Carter Camper found the back of the net at 16:37 of the third period, his 11th of the season. Also adding an assist in the game, Camper has amassed 17 points (three goals, 14 assists) in 16 games with the Falcons.
The Falcons made it 5-2 with 2:23 remaining in regulation, as Dana Tyrell scored an empty-net goal, sixth score in 15 games with Springfield.
Ethan Werek and Tim Kennedy scored first-period tallies for Portland.
With the win, the Falcons matched a franchise record with 45 wins in a single season, and the team still has four games remaining on its regular-season schedule. Springfield, with the division and a top-three seed already clinched, is now four points behind the Manchester Monarchs for the top seed in the Eastern Conference with one game in hand.
The Falcons are back in action Saturday, April 12 to host the Hershey Bears at 7:00 p.m. for the team's last regular-season home game.
Fans are invited to the MassMutual Center in 2013-14 to watch the reigning Northeast Division-champion Falcons compete in their 20th anniversary season. Adult season-ticket packages start as low as $13 per game. To reserve your seats for the 2013-14 season, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Support the Falcons throughout the 2013-14 season by wearing red, white and blue at all the home games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.