Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Norfolk goaltender Brad Thiessen turned aside 45 total shots but couldn't smother the game-winner and the Providence Bruins (39-23-2-8) defeated the Norfolk Admirals (36-25-3-7), 2-1, on Friday night at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
The Admirals' Brad Thiessen (4-6-2) saved 45 of 47 shots as Providence 's Malcolm Subban (15-8-5) made 23 saves on 24 shots.
Following a scoreless first 20 minutes, the Admirals ran into some trouble after defenseman Josh Manson received a five-minute boarding penalty and game misconduct when he shoved Providence rookie Alexander Khokhlachev into the side boards of the Norfolk zone. The Bruins went on a five-minute power play as a result but ran into a thriving Admiral netminder in Brad Thiessen. Thiessen held his ground and helped kill off the entire penalty along with the assistance of a sturdy group of defenseman in front of him.
Less than two minutes later, Norfolk surprised the Bruins as Emerson Etem curled a wraparound pass to a crashing William Karlsson who finished up close for his first goal as an Admiral at 16:05 of the second.
The Bruins put 26 pucks on net through two periods compared to just 14 for the Admirals. Despite controlling possession and generating the majority of scoring chances, Providence trailed Norfolk 1-0 heading into the third period.
As the halfway mark of the final period passed, the Bruins evened up the contest with a Chris Casto blast near the top of the slot that got by a screened Thiessen. Casto's equalizer lit the lamp at 10:07 of the third and set up a pressure-packed final 9:53 for the Admirals.
The 1-1 score stood through the rest of regulation, forcing the overtime skate.
On a breakaway with under two minutes to go in overtime, Thiessen denied the original swooping attempt on net by Andrew Cherniwchan but Zack Trotman stuffed a loose puck beneath a sprawling Thiessen to lift the Bruins to a 2-1 overtime victory. The game-winner crossed the goal line at 3:16 of the extra session.
Norfolk was 0-for-3 on the power play and shut down the Bruins on each of their four man advantages.
The Admirals stay in ninth place and move on to Worcester, Massachusetts for a matchup with the Sharks Saturday night at 7:00 p.m.
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
1. Zack Trotman - PRO
2. Ben Sexton - PRO
3. Brad Thiessen - NOR
NOTES ... Newly acquired rookies Nic Kerdiles and Shea Theodore made their professional and Admirals debuts Friday night versus Providence ... William Karlsson scored his first goal as an Admiral... Norfolk goaltender Brad Thiessen saved a season-high 45 saves. Did not play: Mat Clark, Joseph Cramarossa, Norm Ezekiel, Ryan Faragher, Radoslav Illo, Kevin Lind, Jaycob Megna, Stefan Noesen, Ryan Parent, Max Sauve, Devante Smith-Pelly, Zack Stortini, Steven Whitney, Teigan Zahn
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Admirals Single Game Tickets Now on Sale
- Admirals Officially Announce Signing of Defenseman Brayden Sherbinin
- Admirals Officially Sign Forward Charlie O'Connor
- Admirals Acquire VanWormer and Sherbinin from Kansas City
- Admirals Acquire J.C. Campagna from Fort Wayne Komets