Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield
Springfield, MA - The Portland Pirates will hit the road for the final time this season, starting with a matchup against the Springfield Falcons on Friday night in Springfield. Puck drops at 7 PM for the 6th matchup of the season between the two New England rivals. Portland is 1-2-0-2 against Springfield this season.
The Pirates last played Wednesday in a VIP Cup Series matchup against Manchester. The Monarchs defeated the Pirates 5-0 behind rookie goaltender Patrik Bartosak, who stopped all 29 Pirates shots. Manchester holds an 8-3 advantage in the VIP Cup Series, presented by VIP Tires & Service. For more information about the VIP Cup Series, visit www.vip-cup.com.
Springfield took a 3-1 loss to the St. John's IceCaps in their last game on Saturday. Patrick McNeill had the goal for the Falcons, while Jeremy Smith made 28 saves in the defeat. Springfield will head into the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs as the Northeast Division Champions for the second consecutive year.
The Falcons handed the Pirates a 9-3 defeat in their last matchup on March 9th at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee, the most goals allowed by the Pirates at home in team history. Both Mark Visentin and Louis Domingue saw time in net for the Pirates, while Brett Hextall, Tim Kennedy, and Brandon Yip each scored for the Pirates.
KeyBank Key to the Game
Clipping Their Wings: The Pirates need a strong defensive effort against the Falcons to keep their high powered offense in check. A heavy, strong checking game and increased physicality will be key in the Pirates snapping their 5 game winless streak.
Tonight's game can be heard on News Talk WLOB AM 1310/AM 780 as well as WEZR FM 105.5/AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking "Listen Live " and can be seen live on AHL Live at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 6:40 with Jeff Mannix.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.