Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals
Rockford, Ill. - Home ice was not the cure on Friday night as the Rockford IceHogs (33-30-5-4) fell to the Milwaukee Admirals (36-23-6-7) by a score of 4-1, clinching their trip to the playoffs. The loss was the IceHogs fourth-straight game without a point as they fight for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Down 2-0 midway through the third period, the IceHogs got on the board with 10:16 left in regulation when Teuvo Teravainen, in his first career AHL game, put the puck into the back of the net unassisted. Milwaukee misplayed a puck in front of Marek Mazanec where Teravainen took advantage to bring the IceHogs within one at 2-1.
The IceHogs then killed a 5-on-3 power play for the Admirals with 8:40 left in the contest. The first penalty expired as Theo Peckham took the puck from Milwaukee and raced down the ice on a breakaway but couldn't sneak the equalizer past Mazanec.
With 5:40 left in regulation, the Admirals went ahead by two for the second time. Scott Valentine skated the puck into the zone and fired a hard wrister under Jason LaBarbera from the right face-off circle to set the scoreboard at 3-1.
The nail in the coffin came with 59.1 seconds left with LaBarbera on the bench for the extra-attacker. Filip Forsberg was credited with his 14th goal of the campaign and the 4-1 marker.
The first power play of the night resulted in the first Admirals goal seven seconds into their advantage at 3:52 of the first period. Forsberg had the puck fed to him across the zone by Miikka Salomaki and fired it past LaBarbera.
After crashing the net, the Admirals made it a two-goal game with just 1:19 left in the sandwich frame. Austin Watson got his 18th marker of the season after getting the last touch on the puck before it hit the back of the Rockford net.
LaBarbera made 25 saves for Rockford but was saddled with the loss as Mazanec stopped 26-of-27 shots he faced to earn the win for Milwaukee.
Next Home Game: Saturday, April 12 against the Iowa Wild. The puck drops at 7 p.m. where the first 2,500 fans through the gates will receive an Andrew Shaw bobblehead courtesy of Vienna Beef. Shaw's bobble head is the last in the set of championship series bobbleheads this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Unveil 2019-20 Promo Schedule
- Get $8.15 Tickets to Home Opener this Thursday, August 15
- Single-Game Tickets on Sale Next Thursday, August 15
- Win Cash, IceHogs Prizes at Anything That Floats Race on August 18
- Rockford Agrees to Terms with D-Man Jake Ryczek