Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2
A two-goal third period lead disappeared and the Lake Erie Monsters (29-32-1-10) fell 3-2 in a shootout to the Utica Comets (33-30-5-4) before a crowd of 12,386 fans at Quicken Loans Arena. With the shootout loss, the Monsters are officially eliminated from playoff contention. Michael Schumacher and Guillaume Desbiens scored for the Monsters, who are winless in their last five games. Of the eight games between the Monsters and Comets this season, the last seven were decided by 3-2 final scores. The Monsters host Rochester in the third game of their four-game homestand on Sunday at 5:00 PM.
Schumacher gave the Monsters a 1-0 lead at 6:05 of the first period when he tapped in a bouncing puck in front of the Utica net after a centering feed from Colin Smith. The goal was the 12th of the season for Schumacher, and was assisted by Smith and Stefan Elliott. The Monsters held their 1-0 lead until Guillaume Desbiens extended the Monsters lead to 2-0 at 7:22 of the third period, with assists to Elliott and Mitchell Heard.
Utica scored twice between the 12:09 and 18:02 marks of the third period to tie the game at 2-2. First Jeremy Welsh, then Cal O'Reilly scored for the Comets, who forced overtime.
In overtime, the Monsters had 56 seconds of total power play time, but were unable to convert. In overtime, the Comets held a 5-4 shot advantage.
Alex Friesen and Brandon DeFazio scored in the shootout for Utica, while the Monsters were 0-4 on shootout attempts; with the shootout edge, the Comets secured the 3-2 win.
Calvin Pickard stopped 34 of 36 shots and one of Utica's three shootout attempts in the shootout loss; he is 15-17-7 on the season. Joe Cannata is 10-12-1 after the shootout win for the Comets; he stopped 28 of 30 Monsters shots and all four shootout attempts.
The Monsters host Rochester Sunday at 5:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Columbus Blue Jackets Trim Training Camp Roster by Three Players
- Columbus Blue Jackets Trim Training Camp Roster, Assign Several Players to AHL's Cleveland Monsters
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedules
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Monsters Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to One-Year AHL Contract