Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season
Marek Mazanec stopped 26 shots and the Milwaukee Admirals clinched a Calder Cup Playoffs berth with a 4-1 win over the Rockford IceHogs Friday night in Rockford, IL.
The Admirals will play in the AHL postseason for the 12th straight season. The dates, times and opponent for the post-season will be determined at a later date.
Mazanec held the IceHogs to just one goal for the second straight game, earning his 16th win of the season.
Milwaukee got on the board first with a power play goal at 3:52 of the first period. Taylor Beck passed the puck from the right wing boards to the right corner for Miikka Salomaki. Salomaki stepped above the goal line and slid a pass to the opposite post where Filip Forsberg buried his 13th goal of the season, seventh on the power play.
Milwaukee grabbed a 2-0 lead with 1:19 remaining in the second period. Francis Wathier skated with the puck on the right win boards. As he moved behind the Rockford net he tapped a pass to Beck in the left circle. Beck shot the puck to the net and it deflected off Austin Watson who was charging down the slot. After a video review, the goal stood. It was Watson's 18th goal of the season from Beck and Wathier.
The IceHogs cut the deficit in half at 9:44 of the third period. A turnover out of the Admirals right corner ended up on the slot and Teuvo Teravainen shot the puck into the net.
The Admirals reclaimed the two-goal cushion at 14:20 of the third period when Simon Moser forced a turnover and led a rush out of the Ads zone. Defenseman Scott Valentine jumped into the play on the right wing and received the pass at the red line. He skated into the right faceoff circle and fired a low shot inside the left post for his second goal of the season.
Colton Sissons scored his team-leading 26th with an empty-netter at 19:00 of the third period to seal the win.
The Admirals return home to battle the Chicago Wolves Saturday at 7 pm. After the game, Gavin DeGraw performs in concert. Fans can order tickets by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or by logging on to the Admirals website at www.milwaukeeadmirals.com. Groups of ten or more receive a minimum of $2 off each ticket. For more information or to order group tickets fans should call (414) 227-0550.
Don't forget to follow the Admirals on Twitter (@mkeadmirals) and on Facebook!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.