Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win
(Rochester, NY)... The Rochester Americans scored two power-play goals early in the third period and rode another brilliant performance from rookie goaltender Andrey Makarov en route to a 3-1 win over the visiting Toronto Marlies Friday night at The Blue Cross Arena. The win is the fourth in a row for the surging Amerks, who have yet to lose in April and jump to seventh in the Western Conference standings with five games remaining in the 2013-14 regular season.
Special teams success was the key to victory for Rochester, which survived nine penalty kills against the Marlies and finished 2-of-6 with the man-advantage. Luke Adam continued his strong play against Toronto this season, tallying his team-leading 28th goal of the campaign early in the third period and marking his ninth point of the season series. Jerome Gauthier-Leduc and Kevin Porter also scored goals for the Amerks and Phil Varone added two assists, bringing his team-leading point total to 57, and stretching his point streak to four games.
Makarov, who has become a staple between the pipes for the Amerks, started his seventh consecutive game in net and improved a personal winning streak to four games with a 27-save effort.
Josh Leivo scored Toronto's lone goal late in the first period and Christopher Gibson stopped 18 shots in the loss for the Marlies, who have now dropped two straight to the Amerks.
Porter's goal to open the scoring at 7:38 of the first period was a pretty one, as the veteran forward danced around a Toronto defender along the boards and snuck his way through the slot before beating Gibson along the ice with a low back-hand inside the far post. The Amerks' one-goal advantage was short-lived, however, as Leivo capitalized on a costly turnover to score on a breakaway just 27 seconds later to even the contest at 1-1.
After a relatively quiet second period that saw both teams tighten up defensively, the Amerks power-play stepped up early in the third to help Rochester regain its lead. Peter Holland was the culprit for Toronto, as goalie interference and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties provided the Amerks with a four-minute power-play opportunity.
The Amerks quickly set up in Toronto's zone to begin the extended man-advantage, and with Adam parked in front, Varone took a low shot that was deflected by Adam and into the net, giving the Amerks a 2-1 lead 3:23 into the third period.
Rochester's power-play struck again just 3:21 later when Nick Tuzzolino swung a pass across the blueline to Gauthier-Leduc, who in turn ripped a slap-shot through traffic that found the upper right corner for his third score of the season, putting the Amerks ahead 3-1.
Some tense moments ensued in the final minutes of regulation, as an apparent save from Makarov off a quality chance in front needed a second look to determine if the puck ever crossed the goal-line. Fortunately for the Amerks, the official review confirmed the original call of no goal which effectively ended Toronto's comeback attempt and preserved the 3-1 win for Rochester.
Rochester gets right back to work on Saturday, April 12 as the Amerks travel north of the border to close out their season series with the Hamilton Bulldogs at the FirstOntario Centre. The 7:00 p.m. contest will be the eighth and final meeting between the North Division rivals and will be broadcast live on Sports 1280 WHTK.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 11, 2014
- Heat Beat Barons 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Stumble at Home to Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Kobasew, Vokoun Lead Pens to Shootout Win in Syracuse - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Comets in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Stars Thump Rampage 5-0, Earn Franchise-Record 101st Point of the Season - Texas Stars
- Admirals Secure Playoff Spot for 12th Straight Season - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Wrap up Road Schedule with 5-0 Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Binghamton Survives Hershey 5-4 in Overtime - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Special Teams Power Wolves over Wild 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Makarov, Amerks Down Marlies for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Over 8,000 Sees Wild Fall to Wolves 4-1 - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Bite Back at Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Comfortably Top the Phantoms 4-1 at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Defeat Bears in Overtime - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Beat Pirates, Win Franchise-Record 45th Game - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Begin Weekend With Much Needed Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Sink Admirals, 2-1 in OT - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Drop Pirates 5-2 - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Announce Dates for Two Home Playoff Games - Springfield Falcons
- Thiessen Spectacular Yet Bruins Take 2-1 Overtime Decision - Norfolk Admirals
- Springfield Falcons Presented with F.G. Teddy Oke Trophy - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Tripped by Devils 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Recall Eddy from Alaska - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs Host Fan Appreciation Night - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Sign Forwards Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau - Abbotsford Heat
- Canadiens Recall Blunden from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aucoin, Cracknell, and Rattie Recalled to NHL - Chicago Wolves
- Tim Erixon Returned on Loan to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wings Recall Mrazek from Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Iowa's Jake Dowell Named Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award Recipient - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host Monsters for Regular Season Home Finale - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Recall Justin Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lightning Recall Forward Cedric Paquette from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Recall Goaltender Connor Knapp from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Justin Hickman Signs ATO with Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Start Final Road Trip in Springfield - Portland Pirates
- Missiaen Returns to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Release Defenseman Jeff May - Hershey Bears
- Vaive's Physical Play Helps Wolf Pack Depth - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Battle Lake Erie - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Celebrating Fan Appreciation Week, Presented by UR Medicine Orthopaedics & Physical Performance
- Amerks Recognized at 2020 AHL Team Business Spring Series Meetings for Business Excellence
- Sabres Announce Changes to Amerks Hockey Operations Department
- Amerks Honorary Captain Video Series Named 2020 Bronze Telly Award Winner
- Amerks Announce Year-End Team Award Winners for 2019-20 Season