Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Jan. 26, 2014) - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers defeated the Syracuse Crunch in a wild affair Sunday evening, holding on for a 6-5 victory. John Persson scored a hat trick, while Anders Lee, Scooter Vaughan and Andrew Clark picked up goals, as well. Persson's hat trick goal proved to be the game-winner and broke a 5-5 tie with less than five minutes to play. Kenny Reiter saw 32 shots and earned his ninth win of the season
After multiple scoring opportunities for both teams, the Sound Tigers jumped on the board first with a power-play goal at the 13:19 mark of the first. Ryan Strome found Lee just outside the crease where Lee moved quickly before Crunch goalie Kristers Gudlevskis could react. Less than three minutes after Bridgeport's goal, Syracuse Captain Mike Angelidis found the back of the net to even the score at one.
Persson got his first of the night just 2:30 after the Crunch tied the score after Persson he caught an odd bounce in the chest close to the Crunch net. Persson wasted no time dropping the puck and slipping it past Gudlevskis to give the Sound Tigers a 2-1 lead, which they took into the second period,.
The Sound Tigers extended their lead early in the third on Vaughan's second goal in as many nights. Vaughn found himself in the perfect position to pounce on a rebound off a shot from Riley Wetmore. Vaughn flicked the puck over the left shoulder of Gudlevskis to extend the lead to 3-1.
The Crunch answered midway through the period. Reiter stopped a shot from Brett Connolly, but was unable to control the rebound. Vladislav Namestnikov picked up the rebound above the left faceoff circle and made it 3-2.
Less than a minute later, Joey Diamond raced towards the Crunch goal on a breakaway. He lost control of the puck close to the goal, but managed to get the puck to Clark with a backhand pass into the slot. Clark found the back of the net to put the Sound Tigers up 4-2.
With less than a minute to play in the second, Angelidis lit the lamp for his second goal of the game. Reiter stopped an initial shot from Dana Tyrell, but Angelidis found the rebound and got it past Reiter The period ended with the Sound Tigers out in front by a goal, 4-3.
The Crunch tied the score at four with eight minutes left to go in the third. With the Crunch on a 4-on-3 advantage, Matt Taormina fired a rocket right from center point to even the score at four. However, the Sound Tigers quickly recaptured the lead a minute and a half later with Persson's second tally of the night. After gaining control of the puck, Persson ripped a shot just outside the left faceoff circle to make it 5-4.
With six minutes left in the game Nikita Nesterov let one fly from the point to tie the score at five. But the Sound Tigers regained the lead for good less than two minutes later. Following an outbreak of fights, the Sound Tigers found themselves with an extra man on the ice. John Persson hit the back of the net for the third time, completing his hat trick and giving the Sound Tigers the lead for good.
The Sound Tigers travel to Albany for a game against the Devils Friday night before returning home to face the Springfield Falcons Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Former Sound Tigers Pushed New York Islanders to Deep Playoff Run
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Host Free Virtual Youth Hockey Coaching Clinic
- Sound Tigers Hit Long Island for NHL's Return to Play
- AHL Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Bolduc, Brubacher Agree to Terms