One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time
Rockford, Ill.- Pink In The Rink games are becoming memorable for IceHogs and not just because of the cause. A year after the game garnered a combined 230 penalty minutes and 17 goals, this year's contest took 3:32 to play.
After a delay of well over an hour at the first intermission that had the ice crew scrape down the BMO Harris Bank Center's pink ice, the Hogs squeaked out a 2-1 win over the Milwaukee Admirals on Saturday in front of a sold out crowd of 6,504.
Tied 1-1 late in the third period, Garret Ross grabbed a Brandon Pirri clear out pass, led a two-on-one and found Brandon Mashinter who netted his fifth goal of the season 16:51 into the final frame to give the Hogs their first lead of the game.
The Admirals got on the board first, scoring the only goal in the opening period, which was the opposite when the two teams met the previous night in Milwaukee. Vinny Saponari skated to the Hogs' net, spun around a defender and slipped the puck past Jason LaBarbera 16:59 into the first period.
After the lengthy delay to start the second period, the IceHogs came out of the break and applied the pressure to the Admirals before eventually tying the game at 1-1. With the Admirals already down a man and another penalty upcoming, Brad Winchester tipped in a Pirri shot for the power play tally 16:00 into the frame.
The game was the fourth sellout of the season for Rockford and it was the second largest attended contest for the IceHogs during the team's AHL era.
The Hogs and Ads will complete a three-game weekend set on Sunday afternoon in Milwaukee.
Next Home Game: Tuesday, Feb. 4 vs. Hamilton Bulldogs. Puck drop is 7 p.m. for dollar days at the BMO.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Unveil 2019-20 Promo Schedule
- Get $8.15 Tickets to Home Opener this Thursday, August 15
- Single-Game Tickets on Sale Next Thursday, August 15
- Win Cash, IceHogs Prizes at Anything That Floats Race on August 18
- Rockford Agrees to Terms with D-Man Jake Ryczek