Devils Fall To Senators
ALBANY, NY - The Albany Devils fought back from two goals down, but Matt Puempel netted the game-winning goal midway through the second period, giving the Binghamton Senators a 6-3 victory Sunday at Times Union Center.
"We spotted them a [two] goal lead right off the hop," said Head Coach Rick Kowalsky. "What's frustrating about tonight is they didn't earn their goals. We shot ourselves in the foot. That's a pretty good team to have to play from behind three or two all the time. It was frustrating because there were mistakes that didn't need to happen."
Binghamton's Shane Prince scored three goals in the first period to help build a 3-1 advantage, but the Devils managed to fight their way back. Adam Larsson and Dan Kelly tied the game at 3-3 early in the second period. After a bench minor and a tripping call on the Devils, Puempel scored off a rebound in front at 9:35.
Prince opened the scoring with a pair of goals at 2:31 and 5:01 of the first period. Mike Hoeffel redirected a Rod Pelley bid at 5:31 to make the score 2-1, but Prince capped his hat trick at 9:21.
Before the end of the period, Larsson scored on a 4-on-3 power play at 13:18. In the second, Kelly scored off a fast break setup by Mike Sislo and Reece Scarlett at 4:56.
"This team and this group of guys, we're never out of it," Hoeffel said. "We're a really close-knit, hardworking group. We have a lot of faith in each other and belief in the locker room. We got down early, but there was no doubt that we could come back and do this. Unfortunately, we fell a little short tonight, but there was no doubt that we could potentially come back. It just didn't work out for us today."
After Puempel scored, Jim O'Brien made it 5-3 at 11:22 and Puempel added an empty netter at 19:09 to produce the final result.
Larsson led all Devils scorers with an assist to go along with his first AHL goal of the season. Hoeffel registered his career-high seventh tally and Kelly netted his second.
"I think we have to be more desperate and that's the bottom line," Larsson said. "Even at the end of the game, we have to be harder, tougher and smarter. We weren't there today in the end where we needed it and that's why we lost."
Keith Kinkaid began the game between the pipes, but was replaced after three goals after 9:21 of play. Scott Wedgewood - the goalie of record - made 13 saves on 15 shots.
The Devils return to action Friday for a 7 pm contest against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Times Union Center. Albany is 4-1-0-1 against the Sound Tigers this season. The game will be available online and on mobile devices at ahllive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.