Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 6-5 tonight at Webster Bank Arena.
Bridgeport's left wing John Persson's hat trick led the Sound Tigers past the Crunch, dropping the club's overall record to 17-18-2-4. The loss is the Crunch's fourth in a row.
Crunch netminder Kristers Gudlevskis made 17 saves on 23 shots while Bridgeport goaltender Kenny Reiter stopped 27 of 32 shots faced. Each team went two-for-five on the power-play.
Anders Lee put the Sound Tigers on the board with a power-play goal 13:19 into the opening frame. Lee beat Gudlevskis with a shot from the high slot assisted by Ryan Strome and Aaron Ness. Crunch captain Mike Angelidis retaliated with his sixth goal of the season at the 15:44 mark of the first. Angelidis corralled a bouncing puck before blasting a shot past Reiter from between the circles. Evan Rankin and Dana Tyrell earned the assists.
Bridgeport carried a 2-1 lead into the first intermission after Persson scored on a bouncing puck from the left circle with 1:45 to play in the period. Persson's goal was assisted by Scott Mayfield and Pierre-Marc Bouchard. The Sound Tigers extended their lead to 3-1 early in the second with a goal from Scooter Vaughan. Gudlevskis turned aside a wrap-around attempt but the rebound came to Vaughan who found the back of the net for his third goal of the season.
Vladislav Namestnikov brought the Crunch within one with his team-leading 13th goal of the season 8:54 into the middle stanza. Namestnikov scored from the top of the left wing circle off the rebound of a Brett Connolly shot. Less than a minute later Andrew Clark regained the Sound Tigers two-goal lead after converting a backhand pass from Joe Diamond. Diamond lost control of the puck on a breakaway but was able to pull up and find Clark open for the score.
The Crunch trailed by one at the second intermission after Angelidis scored his second of the game with a minute to play in the period. Angelidis was trailing the play and able to tap a Dana Tyrell feed past Reiter for the score. Crunch defenseman Matt Taormina evened the score at 4-4 with a four-on-three power-play goal eight minutes into the final frame. Taormina's one-timer from the blue line evaded Reiter for Taormina's fourth goal of the season, Namestnikov and Connolly both picked up their second point of the game with the assists.
With nine minutes to play in the third Persson scored his second of the game, giving the Sound Tigers a 5-4 lead. Syracuse scored their second power-play goal of the night to even the score with 6:02 to play. Nikita Nesterov's shot from the right point was his third goal of the season, he was assisted by Cedric Paquette
The Sound Tigers took and kept a 6-5 lead when Persson completed the hat trick on Sound Tigers power play at the 15:54 mark of the third period.
Crunchables: Five Syracuse Crunch players had a multi-point game...Angelidis, Rankin, Connolly, Tyrell and Namestnikov each recorded two points...Nine total Crunch players earned a point in tonight's game...Eric Neilson was scratched tonight breaking his career-long streak of 24 consecutive games played...The Crunch also scored five goals in their previous meeting with the Sound Tigers this season, that game was a 5-0 shutout for the Crunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Welcome to Town Event at Turning Stone Resort Casino October 2
- Syracuse Crunch Single Game Tickets on Sale September 12
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Mikhail Shalagin to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Preseason Schedule
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Dominik Masin to One-Year Contract