Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat fell to the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) 4-3 in overtime on Saturday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are now 26-15-2-1 on the season and currently sit second in the West Division.
Max Reinhart and Markus Granlund each had a goal and assist on the night. Recent ECHL call up Evan Trupp also earned his first AHL assist for Abbotsford.
Utica opened up the scoring at 2:05 in the first period with a goal from Brandon DeFazio. The Heat responded with a goal from Granlund at 7:42. Granlund's goal was assisted by Reinhart and Trupp. The first period ended with the Comets outshooting the Heat 13-8.
At 7:51 in the second period, Alexandre Grenier scored to give the Comets a 2-1 lead. However, Reinhart came back to score a shorthanded goal and tie up the game 2-2 at 10:52, assisted by Granlund.
Brett Olson gave the Heat their first lead at 7:18 of the third period, but Grenier quickly tied the game at 3-3 with a goal at 11:13 after Joey MacDonald mishandled the puck.
After Chris Breen broke his stick in the Comets' zone, Utica's Benn Ferriero scored his second consecutive OT winner at 1:10.
Abbotsford was one for four on the power play while killing off all six of the Comets man advantages.
Joey MacDonald made 35 saves on 39 shots, while Joacim Eriksson stopped 23 of the 26 shots he faced.
Next weekend the Heat will host the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadians) on Friday, January 31st and Saturday, February 1st. Friday will feature the next Legends of Hockey night with Frank Mahovlich, who will be available for autographs on the concourse of the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC) on a first come, first served basis. Friday will also be the second $3 $2 $1 Brew Dog 'N Pop Night of the season. On Saturday night the Heat will be giving away free zamboni coin banks to the first 1,500 fans, courtesy of Vedder Transportation. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.