Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators bounced back from a home ice loss last night for a 6-3 victory on the road over the Albany Devils. Shane Prince recorded the first B-Sens hat trick of the season in the opening 20 minutes while Scott Greenham stopped 33 of 36 shots faced for his first career American Hockey League win.
Prince started off his big night just 2:31 into the opening period when he beat starting Albany goaltender Keith Kinkaid for his 11th goal of the season. Binghamton doubled its lead just past the five minute mark of the first period when Andre Petersson fed a great pass to Prince who ripped his second goal of the night home makes it 2-0. Thirty seconds later Albany drew within a goal when Mike Hoeffel put home a bouncing puck in front of Greenham for his seventh goal of the year. Prince completed his hat trick bid at 9:21 of the period when he took a feed from Jim O'Brien behind the net and one-timed it past Kinkaid on Binghamton's third shot of the night to make it 3-1. Scott Wedgewood entered the game in relief of Kinkaid following Prince's third tally of the night. Defensemen Adam Larsson notched his first goal of the year at 13:18 to cut the B-Sens lead to 3-2 and send the teams to the first intermission.
Albany managed to tie the game at three goals apiece just under five minutes into the middle frame when Dan Kelly recorded his second goal of the year off assists from Mike Sislo and Reece Scarlett. Binghamton's power-play unit converted on a five-on-three chance at the 9:35 of the period to regain the 4-3 lead. Matt Puempel put home a rebound off of Wedgewood's initial save of a Mike Hoffman shot. Both teams tallied eight shots during the period with both Wedgewood and Greenham surrendering one each giving the B-Sens a 4-3 lead heading into the final period of regulation.
The final period of regulation brought few chances for either team. O'Brien extended the B-Sens lead to 5-3 just past the midway point of the period off of Petersson's third assist of the night. Puempel would chip in the empty-net tally for his second of the night to move the final score to 6-3.
Puempel finished with two goals while O'Brien ended the evening with a goal and an assist to go along with Prince's first period hat trick. Binghamton finished 1 for 3 on the power play while Albany converted once on five chances. The B-Sens managed six goals on just 19 shots on goal.
Binghamton will hit the road Tuesday afternoon for three more road contests. The first will be Wednesday, January 29 in Worcester before traveling to Manchester on Friday. The B-Sens will visit Portland on February 1 before heading back to the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena to host the Pirates at 7:05p.m. on Wednesday, February 5.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.