Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2
Andrew Agozzino and Cam Reid scored to give the Lake Erie Monsters a two-goal first period lead, but the Monsters (17-20-0-4) were upended in a shootout by the North Division-leading Toronto Marlies (25-13-2-2), 3-2, Sunday evening at the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto. The point snaps the Monsters string of seven games without picking up a point in the standings, but the shootout loss extends the team's winless run to eight games. The Monsters finish their two-game road trip Tuesday evening in Utica.
Agozzino scored to give the Monsters a 1-0 lead when he tipped a Karl Stollery point shot on the power play for his 10th goal of the season. Matt Hunwick also assisted on the goal, which was scored at 10:09 of the first period.
Reid deflected a Brett Clark shot from the left point to give the Monsters a 2-0 lead at 15:06 of the first period, but Toronto would counter before the first period ended. Stuart Percy scored on a slapshot from the center point immediately following a Marlies faceoff win to cut the Monsters lead to 2-1, which remained the score through the end of the first period.
At 2:52 of the third period, Toronto tied the game 2-2 when Jamie Devane's shot from the right point found its way through traffic and past Monsters goalie Calvin Pickard.
Overtime didn't yield a winner, and Toronto scored on the first two attempts of the shootout to take an early lead in the shootout portion. Drew MacIntyre stopped all four Monsters shooters, securing the second point and the win for Toronto.
Calvin Pickard stopped 29 of 31 shots and two of four shooters in the shootout for the Monsters; he is 9-11-3 on the season. MacIntyre is 20-9-2 after stopping 28 of 30 shots and all four Monsters shootout attempts.
The Monsters are back on the ice Tuesday in Utica against the Comets at 7:00 PM; a game that airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
NOTES: The Monsters are 2-1-0-1 against Toronto this season... The Monsters are 10-9-0-4 against the North Division this season... The Monsters will play Toronto four more times this season, with the next meeting between the two teams scheduled for March 2, 2014 in Toronto... The Monsters were 1-3 on the power play and 4-4 on the penalty kill Sunday against the Marlies... Stollery has six points in his last six games played for the Monsters after an assist Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Monsters Sign Forward Stefan Matteau to One-Year AHL Contract
- Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters Announce Multi-Year Extension of Affiliation Partnership
- Monsters Announce Date and Time Adjustments for the 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Center Marko Dano to One-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract for 2019-20 Season