Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons
Springfield, MA - The Pirates will look to end a season long 6 game winless streak this afternoon as they face the East Division leading Springfield Falcons. Puck drop is 3 PM from the Mass Mutual Center in Springfield.
The Pirates lost a heartbreaker in overtime last night 3-2 to the Manchester Monarchs in game 6 of the VIP Cup Series, presented by VIP Tires & Service. The Pirates rallied from a 2 goal deficit, with Andy Miele and Ethan Werek scoring 2:13 apart in the third period to tie the game. With just 1.8 seconds left in overtime, however, Linden Vey beat Louis Domingue to give the Monarchs the win. Domingue made 36 saves in the defeat, which gave the Monarchs a 4-2 advantage in the VIP Cup Series. For more information on the VIP Cup, visit www.vip-cup.com.
Springfield dropped a 3-1 decision to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers last night, the Pirates opponent on Friday. Jack Skille scored the lone Falcons goal, and the Sound Tigers scored twice in the third period to pick up the win. Mike McKenna made 25 saves for the Falcons in net.
The Falcons have a 3-0-0-0 record against the Pirates this season, with former Pirate Mike McKenna picking up all three wins. 2 of the three meetings this season have gone to a shootout, both at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. Lucas Lessio leads the Pirates with 2 goals against the Falcons this season, while all three Pirate goaltenders have started a game against Springfield this season.
KeyBank Key to the Game
Fly Like an Eagle: Springfield is known for their up-tempo offense, which utilizes speed and precision in order to create chances. The Pirates will have to rely on their fastest players, including Lucas Lessio, in order to counter the Falcon's punches.
This afternoon's game can be heard on the Pirates flagship stations WPEI 95.5/95.9 FM as well as WEZR AM 1240 in the Lewiston/Auburn area and WTME AM 780/1450 in Oxford County. The game can also be heard online at portlandpirates.com by clicking "Listen Live" and can be seen live on AHL Live at ahllive.com. The pregame show starts at 2:40 with Jeff Mannix Follow all the action on the Pirates official Facebook page and Twitter account (@PortlandPirates) with the hashtag #PiratesAway.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.