Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators fell 5-2 to the visiting Rochester Americans in front of an announced crowd of 4,505. The Amerks tallied three first period goals and a pair in the middle frame while holding the Sens in check for the final 40 minutes of play to earn their first win over Binghamton this season. Andrew Hammond stopped 29 of 34 shots faced to drop to 12-8-3 for the year.
Brayden Irwin gave Rochester the lead just 1:45 into the opening period when he pushed home a loose puck in front of Hammond for his first goal of the season. Just over three minutes later, Jean-Gabriel Pageau notched a power-play goal to even the score 1-1. Defensemen Chris Wideman received a pass from Mike Hoffman inside the blue line and riffled a slap shot towards Amerks' goaltender Matt Hackett. Hackett got his blocker on the original shot, but Pageau sent the rebound to the back of the net for his seventh tally of the season. Less than four minutes later, Kevin Porter stole the puck deep in Binghamton's defensive zone and beat Hammond to give the Amerks a 2-1 lead. Jamie Tardif doubled Rochester's lead at 12:14 on the power play as he managed to knock in a puck right on the crease for his 12th goal of the year. Shane Prince cut the Amerks lead to 3-2 just over one minute later. Andre Petersson knocked the puck loose off an Amerks player's stick and Prince turned to fire a shot under Hackett. Hammond turned aside 13 of 16 shots faced in the opening 20 minutes while Hackett stopped 10 of 12.
Rochester struck early in the second when Johan Larsson put home another loose puck off of a rebound to return the Amerks lead to two goals. Binghamton struggled offensively through the middle frame, mustering just eight shots on goal. Luke Adam added to his team lead in goals with eight seconds remaining in the period. With Rochester working its second five-on-three power play of the night Adam moved the score to 5-2.
Neither team managed much offense in the final period of regulation despite the B-Sens registering 13 shots on goal. The final horn sounded giving the Americans the 5-2 victory. Rochester finished two for seven on the power play while Binghamton finished one for four.
The Sens travel to Albany tomorrow afternoon for a 3:00p.m. matchup versus the Devils to finish their busy three game weekend. Binghamton will return to home ice Wednesday, February 5, for a 7:05p.m. game versus the Portland Pirates.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.