Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons (28-10-1-4) were defeated by the Portland Pirates by the final score of 4-3 in a shootout Sunday afternoon at the MassMutual Center.
The Falcons held a 3-2 lead after an eventful first period, getting goals from Sean Collins, Michael Chaput and Jack Skille. For Chaput, who fired a wrist shot from the slot past Portland netminder Mark Visentin at the 7:28 mark, the goal was his 10th of the season. Skille's tally was his fourth of the season and his fourth point in three games since returning on loan from the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Chaput and Skille extended their point streaks to four and three games, respectively.
Portland got first-period tallies from Andy Miele at 4:04 and Chris Brown at 7:02. The Pirates evened the score with a power-play goal at 11:36 of the second period, as Brown scored his second of the game on a sharp-angle wrist shot from the right wing.
Shootout conversions from Tobias Rieder and Miele outgunned the Falcons, as Skille notched the lone Springfield conversion. Miele was credited with the shootout game-winner in the bottom of the fifth round.
Jeremy Smith made 21 saves on 24 shots in net for the Falcons, falling to 17-7-3 this season. Visentin stopped 37 of 40 shots between the posts for Portland, earning his 10th victory of the campaign.
Each team converted on a power play. The Falcons were 1-for-4 with the man advantage, while the Pirates were 1-for-3.
Sunday's shootout loss marked a season-high, three-game winless streak, done two previous times this season.
The Falcons are back in action Friday, January 31 at the Worcester Sharks at 7:00 p.m. The team returns to the MassMutual Center Tuesday, February 4 to host the Albany Devils at 7:00 p.m.
Fans are invited to the MassMutual Center in 2013-14 to watch the reigning Northeast Division-champion Falcons compete in their 20th anniversary season. Adult season-ticket packages start as low as $13 per game. To purchase tickets or to get more information, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Support the Falcons throughout the 2013-14 season by wearing red, white and blue at all the home games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 26, 2014
- Ads Fall to IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Go Pink, Fall to Hartford in Third - Adirondack Phantoms
- Morin Sets the Stage for Comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Hold off Crunch 6-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Fast, Miller Lead Wolf Pack over Adirondack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to Marlies in Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 3-2 Win over Lake Erie - Toronto Marlies
- Rampage Comeback Sinks Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Rally to Defeat Griffins 6-5 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Downed 6-5 by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Suffer Shutout Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Grubauer, Bears Blank Penguins for Eighth Straight Home Win - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Drop Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Recall Chris Breen from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolves Skate Pass Bulldogs 4-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Sharks Win Wild 4-3 Shootout over the Monarchs at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Outlast Falcons in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Florida Reassigns D Alex Petrovic to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks Take Bite out of Perfect Weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- Devils Fall To Senators - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- IceCAps Beat Bruins 3-1 for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Miele, Brown Help Pirates Snap Streak in Shootout - Portland Pirates
- Big First Period Leads B-Sens Past Devils - Binghamton Senators
- Head Coach Mike Haviland Unavailable for Sunday's Game - Hershey Bears
- Flames Assign Shane O'Brien to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Detroit Assigns Samuelsson - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Win in OT - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Preview: Pirates Look to Snap Streak against Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Texas Stars Return Goaltender Pat Nagle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Heat Lose to the Comets 4-3 in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- One Goal Games Goes Hogs' Way this Time - Rockford IceHogs
- Sens Fall to Amerks 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.