Sound Tigers' comeback falls a goal short
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers scored three unanswered goals including Dustin Kohn's first in the American Hockey League but could not tally a fourth as the Albany River Rats defeated the Sound Tigers 4-3.
Albany leading scorer, Keith Aucoin, registered the lone goal in the first period, his fifth of the season while the River Rats were on the power-play. Ryan Bayda fed a pass to Mark Flood on the half-wall who fired a shot on net that Sound Tigers' net-minder, Mike Morrison made the initial save on. Aucoin, parked at the side of the goal, corralled the puck and roofed it past Morrison for the 1-0 lead.
In the second period, it only took Albany 28 seconds to take the 2-0 lead when Casey Borer scored his fourth goal of the season, also while his team was on the man-advantage. Bobby Hughes and Bayda had the assists on the goal. Bayda, collected his third point of the game 8:26 into the middle frame when he wristed a shot from the point that went through Morrison for his seventh goal of the season making the score 3-0. Borer and Derek Damon assisted on the goal. Just under five minutes later, the River Rats would score the eventual game-winner off the stick of Borer, his second of the game. Mike Angelidis and Derek Damon had the assists on Borer's fifth goal of the season. The Sound Tigers would snap River Rats' net-minder, Justin Peters' shutout just over a minute later when Steve Regier jammed home his team leading ninth goal of the season. Mark Wotton took a shot from the point that Peters' stopped but Regier back-handed the rebound through the legs of the River Rat goaltender to make the score 4-1.
About halfway through the third period, Kohn, who had been a scratch the past three games, fired a slap-shot from the point that Peters never saw, to cut Albany's lead in half at 4-2. Joe Rullier and Tim Jackman assisted on Kohn first goal of his AHL career. With Morrison pulled for the extra attacker, the Sound Tigers tallied their third goal of the season when Mark Wotton sent a shot towards the net that ricocheted off the back boards, hit Peters' leg and went in for his second of the season making the score 4-3. The Sound Tigers designed a play off the face-off and were able to fire one last shot on Peters' but he turned it aside and Albany won the game by the count of 4-3.
Morrison finished the game with 25 saves on 29 shots while Peters, who was recalled by the River Rats from Florida (ECHL) this morning, had 28 saves on 31 shots. The Sound Tigers finished 0-5 on the power-play while Albany went 2-5.
The Sound Tigers will hit the road this Friday and head to Providence to take on the Bruins in the two teams' first meeting of the season. Saturday the Sound Tigers will return home to play the Binghamton Senators and finish on Sunday also at Arena at Harbor Yard against the River Rats.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2007
- Flames ignite in third period, stun Rampage 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers' comeback falls a goal short - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Power Their Way to Win Over Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Stafford's Shootout Stunner Secures Griffins' 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros' 6-1 win over Hartford extend swin streak to five games - Houston Aeros
- Albany Tames Sound Tigers 4-3 - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Defeat Devils 6-5 in a Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss To Griffs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose & Yearling Foundation donate over $5,000 in gifts to Children's Hospital - Manitoba Moose
- Schwarz Returns from Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen to Host Big Buddy Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Drake Bell at Rivermen Game Friday Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Sergei Kostitsyn Recalled By Montreal; Cory Urquhart And Jimmy Bonneau Re-Assigned To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details of Fidelis Al's Pals 'Kid of the Month' Program, Presented by Edy's - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose to honour Vanier Cup champion Bisons Saturday night - Manitoba Moose
- Rivermen Community Calendar - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons To Host Ticket Package Holder Locker Room Tours - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Host Third Annual Teddy Bear Toss Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Seek Three-Way Tie For First Place In West Division - San Antonio Rampage
- Zaba heads up from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Call Up Peters From Florida - Albany River Rats
- Game Time for January 5th Moved to 8:00 pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Announce Details of 'Mirasty Mohawk Night' - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL suspends Weber for three - Rochester Americans
- Home Stand Continues Versus Defending Champs - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Helgeson, Kubiak, Brown, Pastujov Agree to Terms
- Islanders Sign Greer, Ho-Sang, Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon
- NCAA 2023 Division I Men's Hockey Regionals Coming to City of Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena
- Czarnik and Hutton Agree to Two-Year Deals
- Former Sound Tigers Pushed New York Islanders to Deep Playoff Run