Bulldogs Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss To Griffs
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - Yann Danis made 38 saves on 39 shots but it wasn't enough as the Hamilton Bulldogs dropped a 2-1 decision in a shootout to the Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena. The shootout loss drops Hamilton's record to 8-11-0-4 on the season.
Bulldogs enforcer Jimmy Bonneau opened the game's scoring at 11:25 of the first period with his first-career American Hockey League goal and point. Andrew Archer and David Desharnais, who picked up his first point as a Bulldog, earned assists on the goal.
Grand Rapids evened the score 1-1 on the power play at 9:05 of the middle stanza when Jakub Kindl's wrist shot eluded Hamilton goaltender Yann Danis to the stick side. Kindl's goal, his second of the season, was unassisted.
After no scoring in the third frame or overtime, the game went to a shootout. On goals by Mark Hartigan, Mark Cullen and Garrett Stafford, the Griffins prevailed to post a 2-1 win over the Bulldogs. Matt D'Agostini and Corey Locke scored for the Bulldogs in a losing effort in the shootout.
Cory Urquhart and Jimmy Bonneau, who were with the Cincinnati Cyclones (ECHL) earlier this morning, were recalled this afternoon and joined the Bulldogs at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids just prior to game time. Both players suited up in the game.
Despite stopping 38 of 39 shots in the game, Danis suffered the loss for Hamilton after allowing three goals on five shots in the shootout. Grand Rapids' netminder Jimmy Howard had 20 saves on 21 shots and turned aside three-of-five Bulldogs shooters in the shootout to earn the win.
Hamilton went 0-for-4 on the power play, while Grand Rapids was 1-for-8 with the man advantage.
The defending Calder Cup Champion Hamilton Bulldogs return to the ice on Friday, December 14th at 7:00 p.m. for another tilt with the Grand Rapids Griffins at Van Andel Arena. Fans can listen to every Bulldogs game on the flagship station of the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Network, 820 CHAM. Fans can also listen or watch at www.hamiltonbulldogs.com by clicking on the 'B2 Networks' or '820 CHAM' icon on the 'Dogs website. All regular-season radio and online broadcasts will begin with a pre-game show 20 minutes prior to each scheduled game-time.
The 'Dogs next home game is on Thursday, December 27th at Copps Coliseum against the Manitoba Moose at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for all 'Dogs home games are available at the Copps Coliseum Box Office, any Ticketmaster outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, or through charge-by-phone at 905-527-7666. For more information or to purchase season tickets call 905-529-8500, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.hamiltonbulldogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2007
- Flames ignite in third period, stun Rampage 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers' comeback falls a goal short - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Power Their Way to Win Over Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Stafford's Shootout Stunner Secures Griffins' 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros' 6-1 win over Hartford extend swin streak to five games - Houston Aeros
- Albany Tames Sound Tigers 4-3 - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Defeat Devils 6-5 in a Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss To Griffs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose & Yearling Foundation donate over $5,000 in gifts to Children's Hospital - Manitoba Moose
- Schwarz Returns from Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen to Host Big Buddy Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Drake Bell at Rivermen Game Friday Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Sergei Kostitsyn Recalled By Montreal; Cory Urquhart And Jimmy Bonneau Re-Assigned To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details of Fidelis Al's Pals 'Kid of the Month' Program, Presented by Edy's - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose to honour Vanier Cup champion Bisons Saturday night - Manitoba Moose
- Rivermen Community Calendar - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons To Host Ticket Package Holder Locker Room Tours - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Host Third Annual Teddy Bear Toss Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Seek Three-Way Tie For First Place In West Division - San Antonio Rampage
- Zaba heads up from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Call Up Peters From Florida - Albany River Rats
- Game Time for January 5th Moved to 8:00 pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Announce Details of 'Mirasty Mohawk Night' - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL suspends Weber for three - Rochester Americans
- Home Stand Continues Versus Defending Champs - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.