Flames ignite in third period, stun Rampage 4-2
SAN ANTONIO - The third period has been filled with bad luck in the last week for the Rampage.
San Antonio entered the final period with a 2-1 lead, and for the third straight game, the Rampage allowed their opponent to tie the score. This time things ended in regulation as Quad City scored three goals within a four-minute span, including two in 81 seconds, to emerge a 4-2 victor Wednesday at the AT&T Center.
Questionable officiating mired the Rampage's overtime loss to Iowa Saturday when the Stars scored with seven seconds remaining to send the game into extra time. A Stars' deflected goal that tied the game 1-1 early in the third period the next night made things interesting in a 2-1 San Antonio victory.
Luck again seemed to favor the other side Wednesday night.
Former Rampage center Krys Kolanos hopped the puck up and over the stick of goalie Josh Tordjman to even things 2-2 on a power-play goal at 13:37 of the third period. Flames' defenseman Tim Hanbly scored the game-winner less than 90 seconds later at 14:58. Right wing Carsen Germyn added a breakaway goal afterwards to notch the Flames' third goal of the period.
The Rampage took a 2-1 lead in the second period with center Joel Perrault's 14th goal of the year - good for No.4 in the AHL - from left wing Matt Murley at 15:42. Perrault's score was his eighth power-play marker of the season - good for No. 2 in the league. Defenseman Ryan Caldwell squared things up at 10:43 of the frame with a blast from the left blue line also assisted by Murley.
Tordjman made 24 of 28 saves on the night and is now 8-4-1. Matt Keetley of Quad City stopped 27 shots while improving to 4-2-1. San Antonio gets another shot a Quad City Friday night at the AT&T Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2007
- Flames ignite in third period, stun Rampage 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers' comeback falls a goal short - Bridgeport Islanders
- Crunch Power Their Way to Win Over Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Stafford's Shootout Stunner Secures Griffins' 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros' 6-1 win over Hartford extend swin streak to five games - Houston Aeros
- Albany Tames Sound Tigers 4-3 - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Defeat Devils 6-5 in a Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss To Griffs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose & Yearling Foundation donate over $5,000 in gifts to Children's Hospital - Manitoba Moose
- Schwarz Returns from Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen to Host Big Buddy Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Drake Bell at Rivermen Game Friday Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Sergei Kostitsyn Recalled By Montreal; Cory Urquhart And Jimmy Bonneau Re-Assigned To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details of Fidelis Al's Pals 'Kid of the Month' Program, Presented by Edy's - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose to honour Vanier Cup champion Bisons Saturday night - Manitoba Moose
- Rivermen Community Calendar - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons To Host Ticket Package Holder Locker Room Tours - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Host Third Annual Teddy Bear Toss Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Seek Three-Way Tie For First Place In West Division - San Antonio Rampage
- Zaba heads up from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Call Up Peters From Florida - Albany River Rats
- Game Time for January 5th Moved to 8:00 pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Announce Details of 'Mirasty Mohawk Night' - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL suspends Weber for three - Rochester Americans
- Home Stand Continues Versus Defending Champs - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids