Albany Tames Sound Tigers 4-3
BRIDGEPORT, CT - Rookie defenseman Casey Borer scored two goals and added an assist as the Albany River Rats beat the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 4-3 Wednesday night at the Arena at Harbor Yard.
The River Rats came into the game with the 27th ranked power play in the American Hockey League, yet it was their power play that cashed in for the opening goal. Defenseman Mark Flood's shot from the point was tipped by Ryan Bayda in the slot, but it was saved by starter Mike Morrison. Captain Keith Aucoin was in perfect position to collect the loose rebound and fire the puck into the open net for a power play goal at 10:08 of the first period, his fifth goal of the season, assisted by Bayda and Flood.
At the other end of the ice goaltender Justin Peters, just hours after arriving in Albany for his call up from the Florida Everblades, was announced as a late starter to replace Michael Leighton and made all four saves he faced in the first period.
The River Rats blew the score wide open in the second period, beginning with Casey Borer's power play goal at 0:28, as his shot from the blue line beat a screened Morrison for a 2-0 lead. Borer then setup Ryan Bayda with a beautiful cross-ice pass for an open net tap in at 8:26; Bayda's seventh goal of the season. Borer then scored his second goal of the period, his fifth of the season, at 13:12 in almost identical fashion as his first. The Minneapolis, Minnesota native again fired a shot from the point, beating Morrison to the right post, assisted by Derek Damon and Mike Angelidis and giving Albany a 4-0 lead. Bridgeport got on the board on a goal from Steve Regier at 14:49.
The Sound Tigers made it interesting in the third period. Dustin Kohn scored his first goal of the season on a slap shot from the high slot at 13:41, cutting the lead to 4-2. Things got tense in the closing seconds when Peters blocked Mark Wotten's shot from the blue line, but the rebound kicked off the back boards and bounced off the Albany goaltender and into the net as the River Rats held on for a 4-3 win.
Justin Peters made 27 saves on 30 shots to earn the win in his first game for Albany this season. The River Rats were 2-for-5 on the power play, improving to 15-10-0-2, winning their third-straight game. Mike Morrison took the loss in goal for Bridgeport, while stopping 25-of-29 shots. The Sound Tigers fell to 9-13-1-0, finishing 0-for-5 on the power play.
Next up for the River Rats is a Friday night trip to the Lowell Devils for a 7:00 pm face off at Tsongas Arena. Albany's first of three games in Glens Falls, NY will come on Saturday, December 15th as the River Rats will host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins for a 5:00 pm face of at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Sunday, Albany returns to Bridgeport for a 4:00 pm matinee with the Sound Tigers.
Partial season tickets packages and flex tickets for the 2007-08 River Rats season are on sale now. For more information please contact the Albany River Rats at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2007
- Flames ignite in third period, stun Rampage 4-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers' comeback falls a goal short - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Power Their Way to Win Over Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Stafford's Shootout Stunner Secures Griffins' 2-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros' 6-1 win over Hartford extend swin streak to five games - Houston Aeros
- Albany Tames Sound Tigers 4-3 - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Defeat Devils 6-5 in a Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Pick Up Point In Shootout Loss To Griffs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose & Yearling Foundation donate over $5,000 in gifts to Children's Hospital - Manitoba Moose
- Schwarz Returns from Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen to Host Big Buddy Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Drake Bell at Rivermen Game Friday Night - Peoria Rivermen
- Sergei Kostitsyn Recalled By Montreal; Cory Urquhart And Jimmy Bonneau Re-Assigned To Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Announce Details of Fidelis Al's Pals 'Kid of the Month' Program, Presented by Edy's - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose to honour Vanier Cup champion Bisons Saturday night - Manitoba Moose
- Rivermen Community Calendar - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons To Host Ticket Package Holder Locker Room Tours - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Host Third Annual Teddy Bear Toss Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage Seek Three-Way Tie For First Place In West Division - San Antonio Rampage
- Zaba heads up from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- River Rats Call Up Peters From Florida - Albany River Rats
- Game Time for January 5th Moved to 8:00 pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Announce Details of 'Mirasty Mohawk Night' - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL suspends Weber for three - Rochester Americans
- Home Stand Continues Versus Defending Champs - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.