Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder
PORTLAND, ME - December 4, 2021 - The Mariners led 1-0 after 40 minutes, but allowed four goals in the third, and dropped their fourth in a row on Saturday night to the Adirondack Thunder, by a score of 4-1. Mathew Santos scored the "Teddy Bear Toss" goal in the 2nd period, the Mariners only goal of the game.
Neither team scored in the opening period, but Mariners netminder Callum Booth, playing his first regular season game of the ECHL season was a standout, making 13 saves. The game advanced past the halfway point in a scoreless tie, but at 12:05 of the 2nd, Mathew Santos sent the teddy bears flying. Just as the Mariners were completing a line change, Conner Bleackley sprung Santos on a breakaway and Santos beat the glove of Thunder goaltender Mareks Mitens to give the Mariners the 1-0 lead.
In the opening minute of the third, Booth made a mistake, giving a puck right to Adirondack's Ryan Smith, who shot it into an open net to tie the game at one. The Thunder then took the lead at 7:59 of the third on a shot from Sebastian Vidmar that found its way through a screen and past Booth. At 14:25, the Thunder went up 3-1 when Pete MacArthur banked one off Booth's pad from the goal line. Nick Rivera hit the empty net at 18:38 to bring the game to a 4-1 final.
Mitens got a win for the second night in a row, making 28 stops. Booth made 27 saves in the losing effort. Over 1,500 stuffed animals were collected for Marine Toys for Tots and the Holden Police Department.
The Mariners (6-7-2-1) and Thunder meet again in Portland on Sunday afternoon at 3:00 PM for "Beacon's Half-Birthday." The first 1,000 fans will receive a Beacon "shirsey," courtesy of Unifirst. Individual tickets for all games can be purchased online at MarinersOfMaine.com/tickets or by visiting the Trusted Choice Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena. Family four packs are available for both games at MarinersOfMaine.com/shop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2021
- Lions Going for 6 Straight Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Admirals Dominate Gladiators in Deciding Matchup - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Defeat Cyclones in Electric 4-0 Shutout - Indy Fuel
- Kozlowski Makes Career-High 48 Saves, Heartlanders Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kupsky's 27-Save Effort Leads Steelheads in 5-0 Shutout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Win Third Straight on Hensick's Game-Winner - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Drops Weekend Finale in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Lions Sweep Skunk Apes in 6-3 Showing - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Win on Overtime Power Play - Wheeling Nailers
- Florek Sends Teddy Bears Flying; Stingrays Close out in Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Put in Complete Effort to Take Two of Three from Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Look to Take Two of Three against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Week-Long Series up for Grabs in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Skunk Apes and Trois Rivières Set for Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Hold off Cyclones for 3-2 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- Gorsuch Gorgeous in K-Wings Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.