Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1
PORTLAND, ME - The Adirondack Thunder picked up their third straight win as they scored four goals in the game's final period to defeat the Maine Mariners 4-1 on Saturday night in Portland. Ryan Smith, Sebastian Vidmar, Pete MacArthur, and Nick Rivera all tallied goals as the Thunder moved to 8-8-0-1 on the season.
The first goal of the game did not come until 12:05 into the second period. After a Thunder defensive zone turnover, Maine's Mathew Santos beat Adirondack netminder Mareks Mitens to let the teddy bears fly at Cross Insurance Arena.
With the Mariners on top 1-0, the Thunder needed just 38 seconds into the third period to tie the game. Maine netminder Callum Booth gave the puck away to Ryan Smith right in front for his third of the season.
Adirondack took their first lead of the game at the 7:59 mark of the third. Sebastian Vidmar let a slapshot go from the top of the left circle that fooled Booth for Vidmar's first goal as a member of the Thunder. Jake Ryczek and Blake Thompson earned the assists.
Pete MacArthur added to the Thunder lead after the captain got his own rebound and banked a shot off of Booth at 14:25 to make it 3-1. Nick Rivera sealed the victory with an empty-net goal with 1:22 left.
Mareks Mitens made 28 saves on 29 shots to pick up his sixth win of the season. Adirondack and Maine both finished the night 0-for-3 on the powerplay.
NEXT GAME: Adirondack closes out their road three-in-three weekend with another matchup against the Maine Mariners tomorrow at 3:00pm.
Images from this story
Adirondack Thunder forward Nick Rivera
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2021
- Lions Going for 6 Straight Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Admirals Dominate Gladiators in Deciding Matchup - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Defeat Cyclones in Electric 4-0 Shutout - Indy Fuel
- Kozlowski Makes Career-High 48 Saves, Heartlanders Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kupsky's 27-Save Effort Leads Steelheads in 5-0 Shutout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Win Third Straight on Hensick's Game-Winner - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Drops Weekend Finale in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Lions Sweep Skunk Apes in 6-3 Showing - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Win on Overtime Power Play - Wheeling Nailers
- Florek Sends Teddy Bears Flying; Stingrays Close out in Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Put in Complete Effort to Take Two of Three from Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Look to Take Two of Three against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Week-Long Series up for Grabs in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Skunk Apes and Trois Rivières Set for Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Hold off Cyclones for 3-2 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- Gorsuch Gorgeous in K-Wings Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack Thunder Part Ways with Head Coach Alex Loh
- Thunder Announce 2022-23 Regular Season Schedule
- Thunder Raise over $30,000 During Stick It to Cancer Weekend
- Thunder Sink Mariners Thanks to Vidmar's Birthday Hatty
- Mitens Puts on 43 Save Performance in Win over Mariners