Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals
The Newfoundland Growlers fell 4-2 to the Reading Royals on Saturday evening at Mary Brown's Centre for their second loss in as many nights.
Neither team found a breakthrough in the opening 20 minutes as both net minders stood tall to keep things at 0-0 at the first intermission.
Reading opened the scoring three minutes into the second period when Patrick Bajkov sprung Frank DiChiara on a breakaway, and despite an initial save from Newfoundland's Evan Cormier, Di Chiara deposited the rebound to make it 1-0 Royals.
The Royals would double their advantage with roughly three minutes remaining in the middle frame as Brayden Low finished from a tight angle to put it past Cormier.
Newfoundland would respond before the second intermission on the power play as Marcus Power found the back of the net for the second straight night with a powerful shot over the glove of Pat Nagle. The Growlers trailed 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Brad Morrison regained the Royals two goal lead just 30 seconds into the third period as he fooled Cormier with a clever move, finishing on the backhand to make it 3-1 Reading.
The power play would continue to provide a spark for the hosts as Orrin Centazzo got the Growlers back within one when he finished off a great feed from Zach O'Brien with just under five minutes remaining in the game.
That Centazzo tally was as close as Newfoundland would get to mounting a comeback as Morrison would find an empty Growlers net to make it a 4-2 Reading final.
Matteo Pietroniro picked up a pair of assists on the power play.
Evan Cormier suffered defeat for the first time since way back on November 6.
The Growlers consecutive losses marks their first two game skid all season.
1. REA - F. DiChiara
2. REA - P. Bajkov
3. NFL - M. Pietroniro
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2021
- Lions Going for 6 Straight Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Admirals Dominate Gladiators in Deciding Matchup - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Defeat Cyclones in Electric 4-0 Shutout - Indy Fuel
- Kozlowski Makes Career-High 48 Saves, Heartlanders Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kupsky's 27-Save Effort Leads Steelheads in 5-0 Shutout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Win Third Straight on Hensick's Game-Winner - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Drops Weekend Finale in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Lions Sweep Skunk Apes in 6-3 Showing - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Win on Overtime Power Play - Wheeling Nailers
- Florek Sends Teddy Bears Flying; Stingrays Close out in Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Put in Complete Effort to Take Two of Three from Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Look to Take Two of Three against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Week-Long Series up for Grabs in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Skunk Apes and Trois Rivières Set for Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Hold off Cyclones for 3-2 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- Gorsuch Gorgeous in K-Wings Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.