K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav
West Valley City, Utah - The Kalamazoo Wings got 3rd period power play goals from Justin Taylor and Tanner Sorenson 27 seconds apart as they broke a 1-1 tie and turned it into a 3-1 victory over the Utah Grizzlies in the first ever Pride Night in Utah pro hockey history at Maverik Center.
The game was scoreless after 1 period as Kalamazoo outshot Utah 14 to 5. Utah got on the board first as Andrew Nielsen fired a long range pass that connected to Taylor Crunk, who put a nice move on Kalamazoo goaltender Trevor Gorsuch 8:08 into the second period. It was Crunk's first goal since February 22nd, 2019 when he played for the Fort Wayne Komets. Wings forward Max Humitz tied the game 15:57 into the period. The score was tied 1-1 after 2 frames.
Utah's Connor McDonald got a tripping minor 6:03 into the third period. 1 minute 3 seconds later Charle-Edouard D'Astous got a boarding minor to give Kalamazoo a 5 on 3 for 57 seconds. 32 seconds later Justin Taylor scored his 7th of the season. 27 seconds later Tanner Sorenson made it 3-1. Kalamazoo's 2 power play goals were the difference in the game. K-Zoo was 2 for 5 on the power play and Utah was 0 for 3.
Trevor Gorsuch got the win in net for the Wings. He saved 24 of 25. Utah's Trent Miner saved 39 of 42. Kalamazoo outshot Utah 42 to 25. Brandon Cutler's 9 game point streak ended. Luka Burzan led Utah with 8 shots.
The series continues on Saturday night with the annual Teddy Bear Toss. It's also Hispanic Heritage night and Mother Son Night. Face-off will be at 7:10 pm and tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or by calling (801) 988-8000. The Game can be seen on FloHockey and heard on Mixlr at https://mixlr.com/utah-grizzlies-hockey
1. Erik Bradford (Kalamazoo) - 3 assists, +1, 5 shots.
2. Brenden Miller (Kalamazoo) - 3 assists, 1 shot.
3. Justin Taylor (Kalamazoo) - GWG 7:37 into the 3rd period. 3 shots on goal.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2021
- Lions Going for 6 Straight Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Admirals Dominate Gladiators in Deciding Matchup - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Defeat Cyclones in Electric 4-0 Shutout - Indy Fuel
- Kozlowski Makes Career-High 48 Saves, Heartlanders Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kupsky's 27-Save Effort Leads Steelheads in 5-0 Shutout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Win Third Straight on Hensick's Game-Winner - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Drops Weekend Finale in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Lions Sweep Skunk Apes in 6-3 Showing - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Win on Overtime Power Play - Wheeling Nailers
- Florek Sends Teddy Bears Flying; Stingrays Close out in Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Put in Complete Effort to Take Two of Three from Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Look to Take Two of Three against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Week-Long Series up for Grabs in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Skunk Apes and Trois Rivières Set for Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Hold off Cyclones for 3-2 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- Gorsuch Gorgeous in K-Wings Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Grizzlies Stories
- Grizz Look to Reach Conference Finals for First Time Since 2008
- Rush Blanks Grizz 3-0 to Extend Playoff Series
- Rush Defeat Grizz 3-0 to Extend Series to 6th Game
- Grizzlies Gameday: Game 5 in the Black Hills. Utah Leads Series 3-1
- Rush Defeat Grizz 6-5 to Keep Series Alive