Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (7-7-0-0) vs. South Carolina Stingrays (7-6-2-0)
December 4, 2021 | 6:05 PM | Regular Season Game #15
Referees: Andrew Wilk (24)
Linesmen: Tannum Wyonzek (74), Antoine Bujold-Roux (72)
Pregame Coverage begins at 5:45pm
LISTEN: Greenville Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network
WATCH: FloHockey Live Stream
Voice of the Swamp Rabbits Mark Shelley on the call
STINGRAYS SEASON SERIES
Season Series Record:
Overall: (4-2-0-0) Home: (2-0-0-0) Away: (2-2-0-0)
December 3, 2021: Greenville 7 vs South Carolina 6 OT
December 4, 2021: Greenville at South Carolina
FREE HOCKEY FRIDAY:
The Swamp Rabbits defeated the South Carolina Stingrays in a 7-6 overtime barnburner. Diego Cuglietta started off the scoring at 4:32 in the first in his usual fashion, a beautiful snipe. The Stingrays would negate that lead with three consecutive goals by Justin Florek, Alex Brink and Andrew Cherniwchan. Bits would tie it up before the end of the first, as Justin Nachbaur recorded his first career goal at 18:35 followed by Matt Bradley just :54 later. A back and forth second period saw Lawton Courtnall score after just :37, followed by a Diego Cuglietta equalizer goal at 1:21, and another Cherniwchan goal put the Rays back on top. Like the others tonight, that lead would not last long as Nachbaur scored his second of the night at the 7:51 mark. The third period would see another goal from each team, the first a beautiful backhand goal from Nikita Pavlychev at the 5:29 mark. Andrew Cherniwchan rounded off his hat trick with a game tying goal before the period expired. Yet another overtime game between these two teams would end the same way it did just a week ago. A Swamp Rabbits Game winner, this time courtesy of Ben Freeman.
COOL AS A CUGLIETTA:
Diego Cuglietta has done nothing but dazzle in his time with Greenville. Cuglietta has 11 points (6G, 5A) in seven games since joining the team November 9th. Of those seven games Cuglietta has at least one point in all but one. Two goals and an assist on Friday night extended his point streak to five games; a streak that includes six goals and four assists.
Highly touted rookie Justin Nachbaur made his professional debut Friday evening and boy did he make a splash. Nachbaur would score his first career goal 18:35 into the game with a little help from Ben Freeman. Nacho would strike again in the second with a goal that would tie the score at five a side after a bouncing puck rebounded to his stick. Nachbaur attended Charlotte Checkers camp this past off-season and has been sidelined by injury until just last night.
FREE HOCKEY FREEMAN:
Ben Freeman ended his drought with a game winner on Friday night in overtime. Freeman, who had a goal and two assists in the first five games of the season went six consecutive games without a point or assist and he got both in the barnburner in Charleston. Freeman's assist came early on just 18:35 into the game while his goal would stop the clock for good 3:18 into the extra period.
WHAT ON TAP:
The Swamp Rabbits will finish the weekend with one more games against the Stingrays, traveling back to Greenville for the rubber match on Sunday afternoon. The Swamp Rabbits and Stingrays have met six times this season. Greenville leads the season series 4-2 so far, outscoring their in-state rival 19-16 in those games.
Greenville will host the Orlando Solar Bears on Wednesday, marking the first time the clubs have met in the 2021-2022 season. Orlando has a 10-7-1 record, sitting in second place in the South division. The leading scorer for the Solar Bears is Aaron Luchuk with 9G and 13A, although his last goal came six games ago on 11/17 against Florida. Two goalies have split the majority of the action for Orlando. Brad Barone is 6-3 in 10 games, allowing 2.03 goals against, boasting a .945 SV%. Rookie Zach Emond has seen action in seven games, holding a 4-3 record, 3.89 GAA and.863 SV%.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 4, 2021
- Lions Going for 6 Straight Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Admirals Dominate Gladiators in Deciding Matchup - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Defeat Cyclones in Electric 4-0 Shutout - Indy Fuel
- Kozlowski Makes Career-High 48 Saves, Heartlanders Win - Iowa Heartlanders
- Kupsky's 27-Save Effort Leads Steelheads in 5-0 Shutout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Win Third Straight on Hensick's Game-Winner - Toledo Walleye
- Atlanta Drops Weekend Finale in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Lions Sweep Skunk Apes in 6-3 Showing - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Win on Overtime Power Play - Wheeling Nailers
- Florek Sends Teddy Bears Flying; Stingrays Close out in Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Santos Gets Teddy Bear Goal, But Mariners Fall to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Net Four Goals in the Third to Beat Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Put in Complete Effort to Take Two of Three from Growlers - Reading Royals
- Growlers Drop 4-2 Decision to Royals - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 4 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss and Hispanic Heritage Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Look to Take Two of Three against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Week-Long Series up for Grabs in Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Skunk Apes and Trois Rivières Set for Teddy Bear Toss - Florida Everblades
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Hold off Cyclones for 3-2 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- K-Wings Defeat Grizz 3-1 on Pride Night at the Mav - Utah Grizzlies
- Gorsuch Gorgeous in K-Wings Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rush Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Rinaldi Leads Offense, Rabbits Down Everblades 3-1
- Sunday's Greenville Swamp Rabbits Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Florida Panthers Sign Evan Fitzpatrick to NHL Deal, Goaltender Assigned to Taxi Squad
- Frank Hora Signs AHL Deal with Syracuse Crunch
- Liam Pecararo Named to 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic