Royals Home Friday and Saturday; Five Games to Go
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, have started a season-long five-game home stand with points in the first three games (2-0-0-1) and complete it this weekend with contests at Santander Arena Friday vs. Maine and Saturday against Wheeling. The Royals are perched five points behind Maine for the North Division's fourth and final playoff spot with five games to play in the ECHL regular season.
Reading is coming off a 4-1 Sunday win against Worcester. The Royals scored four unanswered goals and Jamie Phillips blocked 28 of 29 shots in his sixth straight Royals start. He is 3-2-0-1 with the Royals (2.75 GAA, .901 sv.%).
Saturday vs. Newfoundland, a crowd of 4,974 watched Berks Catholic student Anthony Myers launch The Anthony Myers Movement. The movement will help raise funds and provide support for those experiencing medical difficulties.
Chris McCarthy: T-2nd in points (68) | 2nd in assists (50)
Jamie Phillips: T-5th wins (22) | 10th in GAA (2.62)
Team: 2nd fewest PIM/game in league (10.1)
Team: 5th in shots/game (33.2) | 8th in shots against per game (30.2)
Mar. 29 vs. Maine: Santander Arena, 7:00 p.m.
Mar. 30 vs. Wheeling: Santander Arena, 7:00 p.m.
29-28-4-6, 68 points, 7th North
Newfoundland - 88 points
Adirondack - 76 points
Manchester - 74 points
Maine - 73 points
Brampton - 72 points
Worcester - 70 points
Reading - 68 points
Mar. 22 vs. Newfoundland, W, 5-2
Mar. 23 vs. Indy, SOL, 3-2
Mar. 24 vs. Worcester, W, 4-2
1) We take all the shots
Since Feb. 5, the Royals have attempted a league-best 805 shots on goal, which is tops in the circuit (35 per game). Over that same span, Reading has surrendered an average of 28 shots a contest.
Reading took 44 shots Saturday vs. Newfoundland and tucked 40 on cage Sunday against the Railers. The Royals have out shot foes in 17 of the last 23 games.
2) Two big games vs. Maine
The Royals have two games remaining with the Mariners this season, starting Friday in the home finale at Santander Arena. Reading trails Maine by five points for the fourth seed in the North Division.
Brampton (72 points) is one point behind Maine. The Beast host third-place Manchester (74 points) at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday. If Manchester wins Wednesday, the Royals have the potential to move three points back of Maine for fourth on Friday.
3) Career year update
The following Royals have surpassed single-season highs or are nearing them:
Chris McCarthy: career-high 50 assists and 68 points.
Josh MacDonald: career-high 25 goals, needs two points to hit 52 and match single-season high
Adam Schmidt: career-high 23 goals and 49 points.
Frank DiChiara: career-high in goals (15) and points (40)
Michael Huntebrinker: needs four goals to reach 20 and two points to hit 41, which would match his single-season totals in both categories.
Nick Luukko: career highs in goals (8) and points (29)
Regular season team leaders
Goals: Josh MacDonald (25)
Assists: Chris McCarthy (50)
Points: Chris McCarthy (68)
PIM: Jacob Graves (78)
+/-: Michael Huntebrinker (+12)
Monday - OFF DAY
Tuesday - OFF DAY
Wednesday - Practice, 11:00 a.m., Santander Arena
Thursday - Practice, 11:00 a.m., Santander Arena
Friday - Game vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday - Game vs. Wheeling, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - OFF DAY
Monday - TBD
Royals Radio Recon: Final Show Tues., Mar. 26
Live from Jimmy G's Railroad House from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Meet Royals players at Jimmy G's Railroad House, 152 Woodrow Ave., Sinking Spring, PA. Listen on mixlr.com/ReadingRoyals or via the Mixlr App.
Next Home Games
Friday Night Hockey on Mar. 29 vs. Maine at 7:00 p.m.
1) Royals host rival Maine for the final time in the regular season.
2) Enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading
3) Meet Royals players after the game at DoubleTree's Cheers! Restaurant (701 Penn St.)
4) Postgame ham shoot on the ice: make the shot, win a ham courtesy of Redner's.
5) Four-for-$48 Family Four Pack: four burgers, four sodas, four tickets. Call Royals office for details 610-898-7825.
Sat., Mar. 30: Autism Awareness Night with player trading card giveaway at 7:00 p.m. vs. Wheeling, pres. by the Austism Society of Berks and Unending Promise
1) Sensory-friendly game, with subdued atmosphere with music and lighting, plus quiet spaces in the arena
2) Player Trading Card set giveaway and postgame team autographs pres. Rieck's Printing
3) Enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading
4) Girl Scouts of Eastern Pennsylvania will sell girl scout cookies on your way out of the arena postgame
5) Special Austism Awareness jerseys
6) Four-for-$48 Family Four Pack: four burgers, four sodas, four tickets. Call Royals office for details 610-898-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2019
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Raise Nearly $21,000 from Pink in the Rink Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- Savings, Family Fun and Giveaways this Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Stukel Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Doherty and Kurker Return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Call up Three from Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Weekly Report - March 25 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades Weekly: Norfolk Pays Second Visit to Estero - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Announce Details Behind this Weekend's Pucks for Paws Game - Adirondack Thunder
- Peterson, Gosselin Recalled - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Weekly: Photo Finish Coming in North Division Playoff Race - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Weekly - March 25, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL to Utilize Video Replay Review for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 24 (March 18-24, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out - Kansas City Mavericks
- Chase Up, Melanson Down as Mariners and Wolf Pack Swap Forwards - Maine Mariners
- Komets Clip Walleye 2-1 in OT; Wings Visit Wednesday, Mavs Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Home Friday and Saturday; Five Games to Go - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, March 25th - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Continue Road Trip this Week with 4 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 25 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return