Swamp Rabbits Weekly
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits started the week on a high note, picking up an emotional win over the Kansas City Mavericks, but saw bad habits return and leads crumble against the South Carolina Stingrays and the Atlanta Gladiators.
All three games saw the Swamp Rabbits score first, but eventually give the lead to the other team. Only Thursday was the lead regained, all thanks to a familiar source of offense, Kamerin Nault, who had missed the last month with a lower body injury. His hat trick helped Greenville establish a lead, and never let go. Goaltender Garrett Bartus also helped in the win, with a season-high 45 saves, including 20 of them in the second period alone.
Saturday saw the desperate South Carolina Stingrays come to town on a winning streak. A strong first period that saw a pair of goals from Thomas Ebbing seemed to set the tone. However, the Rays came out of the locker room with a purpose in the second period, eventually scoring seven unanswered goals. Cam Askew went 18 games without scoring a goal, but ended his night with a natural hat trick en route to the win. Six of the seven goals scored by South Carolina came at even strength, and one was shorthanded.
The Swamp Rabbits ran into another desperate team on Sunday, the Atlanta Gladiators, and got the drop on them with the opening goal, once again. Danny Elser scored his first professional goal in the first period to grab the lead, Atlanta, however, used a third-period surge to pull ahead for good, while staving off a late goal from Brendan Harms, to hold on to the 3-2 win.
Six games remain in the regular season, all against South Division opponents.
3/21 vs. Kansas City Mavericks - W 5-3
3/23 vs. South Carolina Stingrays - L 7-2
3/24 @ Atlanta Gladiators - L 3-2
FAMILY DENTAL HEALTH PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Adam Larkin - 3 GP | 1 G - 3 A - 4 P | +1
Swamp Rabbits defenseman Adam Larkin is developing into a reliable, top-pair defenseman in Greenville. Larkin posted points in all three games on the week, including a goal and an assist on Thursday, and assists on both Saturday and Sunday. Among Swamp Rabbits defensemen, Larkin has the second-most points (25), behind only Jake Bolton, but in 11 fewer games. Larkin has 22 points in 39 games since being acquired on December 11.
While the Swamp Rabbits have been officially eliminated from contention in the Kelly Cup playoffs, six games remain in the regular season, including three this upcoming week. Sunday's lineup featured ten players that did not suit up in a Swamp Rabbits uniform. Change has been in the air to find the right mix, and the Swamp Rabbits' coaching staff, led by Kevin Kerr and Kahlil Thomas, continue to evaluate the key pieces that will lead the way next season.
Kamerin Nault is scoring at a rate that would make most players blush. He has scored 11 goals in his first 14 games, and is shooting 25.0% on the year. Nine of those 11 goals have come at even strength. If he played at this rate for an entire season, he would put up a 56-goal season. While some regression to the mean is to be expected at some point, Nault looks to be a promising gem in a Swamp Rabbits uniform moving forward.
Defenseman Chad Duchesne is set to move into sole possession of seventh in all-time games played by a Greenville player should he suit up on Thursday. He is currently tied with Josh Nicholls, who played between 2013 and 2016 at 174. The Ontario native is having a career year with 19 points and a +2 rating.
Swamp Rabbits newcomers are finding a way to get on the board with regularity. Tyler Bird has been the most prolific, with five points in his first eight games. Danny Elser has two points in his first four games, and Erik Robichaud with two points in his first five games.
Thursday, March 28 | vs. Jacksonville Icemen | 7:00 p.m. | 2 for $20
Friday, March 29 | vs. Orlando Solar Bears | 7:00 p.m. | Fan Appreciation Night (Bojangles Mystery Gift Card Giveaway to first 3,000 fans)
Sunday, March 31 | vs. Orlando Solar Bears | 3:00 p.m. | Team Autograph Session (Poster Giveaway to first 3,000 fans)
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
xy Florida Everblades (45-16-6) - 96 pts
Orlando Solar Bears (36-23-5) - 77 pts
Jacksonville Icemen (34-28-4) - 72 pts
South Carolina Stingrays (32-30-6) - 70 pts
Atlanta Gladiators (29-26-10) - 68 pts
Norfolk Admirals (26-32-8) - 60 pts
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (22-38-6) - 50 pts
Images from this story
Greenville Swamp vs. the Kansas City Mavericks
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2019
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Raise Nearly $21,000 from Pink in the Rink Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- Savings, Family Fun and Giveaways this Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Stukel Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Doherty and Kurker Return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Call up Three from Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Weekly Report - March 25 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades Weekly: Norfolk Pays Second Visit to Estero - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Announce Details Behind this Weekend's Pucks for Paws Game - Adirondack Thunder
- Peterson, Gosselin Recalled - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Weekly: Photo Finish Coming in North Division Playoff Race - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Weekly - March 25, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL to Utilize Video Replay Review for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 24 (March 18-24, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out - Kansas City Mavericks
- Chase Up, Melanson Down as Mariners and Wolf Pack Swap Forwards - Maine Mariners
- Komets Clip Walleye 2-1 in OT; Wings Visit Wednesday, Mavs Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Home Friday and Saturday; Five Games to Go - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, March 25th - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Continue Road Trip this Week with 4 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 25 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Ticket FAQ
- 2019-20 ECHL Season Cancelled
- Sunday's Blood Drive Cancelled
- Swamp Rabbits Statement Regarding COVID-19
- Jake Massie Reassigned from Springfield Thunderbirds