KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out
The Kansas City Mavericks continue to hunt down their first playoff berth since the 2016-17 season. With seven games to play, the Mavericks need just three points to secure a playoff spot in the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Despite their close proximity to clinching, the Mavs are currently mired in their longest losing streak of the season. KC has dropped their last five games, and are currently 0-4-0-0 on their eight-game road trip. The Mavericks have also allowed 40 or more shots on goal in three of their last four games. Mavericks forward Greg Betzold continues to have a dominant month of March. With a goal and an assist Saturday night against Atlanta, he brought his point total in the month of March to 17 on seven goals and 10 assists in 12 games.
Last Week's Action
3/19: @ South Carolina, 4-2 L
3/21: @ Greenville, 5-3 L
3/22: @ South Carolina, 5-3 L
3/23: @ Atlanta, 4-3 L
This Week's Schedule
3/27: @ Cincinnati Cyclones
3/29: @ Toledo Walleye
3/30: @ Fort Wayne Komets
3/31: @ Indy Fuel
Mountain Division Standings:
1. x-Idaho (39-22-3-2, 83 points)
2. x-Tulsa (38-21-4-2. 82 points)
3. x-Utah (34-23-4-4, 76 points)
4. Kansas City (32-28-3-2, 69 points)
5. Rapid City (27-32-5-3, 62 points)
6. Wichita (24-39-8-3, 59 points)
7. Allen (24-38-4-2, 54 points)
*x-clinched playoff spot
Notes & Quotes
The Mavericks "magic number" sits at three points. With seven games to play, the Mavericks need just three points to clinch a playoff position in the current standings. Also, two regulation losses by Wichita and Rapid City each will clinch the Mavs seventh playoff berth in the franchise's 10-year history.
Corey Durocher scored his second hat trick of the season Friday night, netting all three goals for the Mavericks against the South Carolina Stingrays in the Mavericks 5-3 loss.
Big Z Returns
Mavericks forward David Dziurzynski returned from a five-game suspension Saturday night against the Atlanta Gladiators after March 10th's game against the Cincinnati Cyclones.
Mavericks captain Rocco Carzo recorded his 250th career ECHL point Thursday against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits with an assist. In his career, Carzo has 90 goals and 161 assists for 251 points.
Over the course of the month of March, Betzold has compiled 17 points on seven goals and 10 assists in 12 games this month.
The Long Road Home
This week is the final stretch of the Mavericks eight game road trip, their longest of the season. The Mavericks begin the road home Wednesday, facing the Cincinnati Cyclones, Toledo Walleye, Fort Wayne Komets and Indy Fuel before returning home for their regular season home finale against the Tulsa Oilers on Tuesday, April 2.
Piling Up the Shots
The Mavericks set their season high in shots on goal Thursday night in their 5-3 loss at Greenville. The Mavericks put up 48 shots, surpassing their previous total of 43 on October 12 against the Allen Americans in their first game of the regular season.
Willie With The Helpers
Defenseman Willie Raskob leads all ECHL defensemen with 37 assists this year. Overall, he ranks second in points by defensemen in the league with 42 points on six goals and 37 assists.
It's All About the Shots
The Mavericks are 19-9-3 when outshooting opponents.
The Mavericks continue their eight-game road trip this Wednesday against the Cincinnati Cyclones at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio. Faceoff for Wednesday's game will be 6:35 p.m. Central time. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2019
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Raise Nearly $21,000 from Pink in the Rink Jersey Auction - Idaho Steelheads
- Savings, Family Fun and Giveaways this Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Stukel Heads Back to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Doherty and Kurker Return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Call up Three from Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Weekly Report - March 25 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades Weekly: Norfolk Pays Second Visit to Estero - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Announce Details Behind this Weekend's Pucks for Paws Game - Adirondack Thunder
- Peterson, Gosselin Recalled - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Weekly: Photo Finish Coming in North Division Playoff Race - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Weekly - March 25, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL to Utilize Video Replay Review for 2019-20 Season - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 24 (March 18-24, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out - Kansas City Mavericks
- Chase Up, Melanson Down as Mariners and Wolf Pack Swap Forwards - Maine Mariners
- Komets Clip Walleye 2-1 in OT; Wings Visit Wednesday, Mavs Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Home Friday and Saturday; Five Games to Go - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, March 25th - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Continue Road Trip this Week with 4 Games - Utah Grizzlies
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 25 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Zach Osburn Selected as ECHL All-Star
- Mavs Skid Continues in Allen with 8-0 Loss
- Mavs Monday: Dinged up Mavs Enter Crucial Stretch
- Mavs Snakebit in Front of Sellout Crowd, Blown out in Saturday Night Contest to Allen
- Mavs Go .500 on Road Trip After Loss in Newfoundland