Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Oklahoma City Dodgers (Dodgers) scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning and picked up a 6-3 win over the Memphis Redbirds Friday night at AutoZone Park.
Memphis (36-56) led 3-2 after scoring a run in the bottom of the sixth, but the Dodgers (40-51) hung a four-spot in the top of the ninth to turn the tables.
Lane Thomas hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the second to give the Redbirds a 2-1 lead, and Joe Hudson drove in Memphis' other run on the night.
Randy Arozarena doubled, and Adolis Garcia added a triple. Arozarena also stole his ninth base of the season, and Garcia and Thomas had outfield assists.
Austin Warner fired 6.0 solid innings for the Redbirds, giving up just two earned runs on six hits for a quality start. He struck out four. Jesus Cruz and Tyler Webb tossed a pair of scoreless innings with four combined strikeouts to bring the game to the ninth, but Chris Beck then had a rough ninth inning.
Six different Dodgers had two-hit games, and the top two hitters in the Oklahoma City order drove in a combined five runs.
Memphis and Oklahoma City will play a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 4:05 p.m. to finish the series. The Redbirds then hit the road for seven games at Round Rock and Omaha before returning to AutoZone Park on Tuesday, July 23.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Saturday, July 13 at 4:05 (doubleheader): Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; MLBPAA Memorabilia Shop at the game with proceeds benefiting the MLBPAA and the Redbirds Community Fund
Wednesday, July 24 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, July 25 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.