Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win
Memphis, Tenn. - Edwin Ri-os hit a go-ahead home run in the ninth inning to stamp his return to the Oklahoma City lineup, and Gavin Lux collected a season-high four RBI as the Dodgers defeated the Memphis Redbirds, 8-6, Thursday night at AutoZone Park.
The Redbirds had overcome deficits of three runs and two runs throughout the game, and the contest was tied 6-6 heading into the ninth inning. Leading off, Rios mashed a home run past the OKC bullpen in right field for his 15th home run of the season to put the Dodgers back in front.
The Dodgers (39-51) added another run following hits by DJ Peters and Kyle Garlick, with Peters later scoring on a sacrifice fly by Connor Joe.
The Redbirds (36-55) put the tying run at the plate with one out in the ninth inning, but Josh Sborz struck out the next two batters to end the game and earn his second save.
With Thursday's win, the Dodgers have now won five of their last six games overall and improved to 5-0 at AutoZone Park this season.
Thursday's game saw the Dodgers take an early three-run lead and trail after five innings before eventually winning. After having the bases empty with two outs in the first inning, the Dodgers scored twice. RÃ-os walked before a double by Peters. Zach Reks then plated both runners with a single, giving the Dodgers a 2-0 lead.
OKC added another run in the second inning with a RBI single by Lux.
Memphis rallied for two runs in the bottom of the second inning. With two outs and two strikes, Memphis pitcher Mike Hauschild picked up an infield single to prolong the inning. Randy Arozarena then drew a walk with the bases loaded, and Edmundo Sosa followed with a RBI single.
The Redbirds took advantage of a series of Dodgers miscues over the next two innings to take the lead. In the third, Adolis Garcia led off and was hit by a pitch. He went to second base on a balk, advanced to third base on a wild pitch and then scored on a groundout by Lane Thomas.
Memphis took its first lead in the fourth inning. Arozarena drew a walk with two outs, and Sosa followed with a single to center field. Peters bobbled the ball while trying to field it, allowing Arozarena to score and put Memphis ahead, 4-3.
The Dodgers regained the lead in the sixth inning. A key fielding error by Sosa aided the Dodgers in loading the bases, and with two outs, Lux lined a three-run double to deep left field.
Lux finished the game 2-for-4 and reached base three times to go along with game-high and season-high four RBI.
However, the Dodgers could not hold a multi-run lead for the second time. A RBI double by Thomas followed by a RBI single by Joe Hudson with two outs in the seventh inning evened the score at 6-6.
The Dodgers outhit the Redbirds, 13-8. Peters tallied a game-high three hits, and Garlick went 2-for-5 with a double in his first game after being optioned to Oklahoma City.
The Dodgers and Redbirds continue their series at 7:05 p.m. Friday at AutoZone Park. Live radio coverage of each game begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com and through the free iHeartRadio or MiLB First Pitch apps.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.