Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa
ROUND ROCK, TX - An eighth-inning rally pushed the Round Rock Express (53-38) to a 6-4 victory over the Iowa Cubs (52-39), Thursday at Dell Diamond.
Six of the game's 10 runs were scored in the first inning as starters Trevor Clifton and Akeem Bostick both labored through the opening frame. Iowa was first to strike, getting three runs on two hits and three walks. The I-Cubs had the chance to do more damage but left the bases juiced. The Express duplicated the effort, spurred by two walks to open the bottom half of the inning. A Derek Fisher homer did the damage, locking the game at 3-3.
Singles from Donnie Dewees and Ian Happ opened the second and the I-Cubs took another temporary lead on a Phillip Evans sac fly. Round Rock plated a run in the fourth to force another stalemate and the score held until the eighth. Dillon Maples (L, 0-4) gave up a leadoff hit to Drew Ferguson before issuing four-straight walks to push in a pair of runs for the Express.
Happ punched a leadoff single in the ninth but Iowa couldn't collect on the base runner as former I-Cub Felipe Paulino secured the save.
- Ian Happ extended his hitting streak to seven with a 2-for-5 game (.444, 12-for-27).
- Iowa went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left nine stranded.
- Jim Adduci went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
Iowa and Round Rock clash at Dell Diamond again tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. RHP Adbert Alzolay is slated to face RHP Rogelio Armenteros. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.