Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento
Sacramento, Calif. - The Fresno Grizzlies (46-45) endured a rare road loss to the Sacramento River Cats (47-43) on Thursday evening; Fresno dropped to 28-9 at Raley Field in West Sacramento since the beginning of the 2015 season (3-2 in 2019). The River Cats moved a game and a half ahead of the Grizzlies in the Pacific Northern Division standings, as the post-all-star break schedule commences in the PCL.
The River Cats bit first, when a Steven Dugger RBI single in the third inning staked the home side to a 1-0 lead. A lead which was short-lived, when three Fresno singles in the top of the fourth was punctuated by a Taylor Gushue RBI to tie it.
Leading 3-1 in the fifth, Sacramento tacked on another, when Mike Gerber singled home Duggar (walk, stolen base). Trailing 4-1 in the sixth, the Grizzlies tightened things up when Alec Keller stroked a two-run double to right field with one out and the bases loaded, reducing the deficit to a run.
The Fresno momentum was momentarily squelched in the seventh when Sacramento plated three runs, thanks to a Joey Rickard RBI double and a two-run single by Chris Shaw. But in the visitor half of the eighth, a Matt Reynolds leadoff double to the gap in left was the prelude to Gushue's eighth homer of the season, belted to right center to make the score 7-5. That was before a Dugger RBI double in the eighth rounded out the Sacramento scoring to put the game out of reach; former Grizz Jandel Gustave retired the side in order in the ninth for his sixth save.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- C Taylor Gushue (2-4, HR, 3 RBI)
- CF Andrew Stevenson (3-5, 3 2B)
- PH Alec Keller (2B, 2 RBI)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- CF Steven Duggar (3-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB)
- SS Abiatal Avelino (2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R)
- RHP Jandel Gustave (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, save)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Friday July 12 Sacramento River Cats (Road) RHP Logan Ondrusek (Fresno) vs. RHP Yoanys Quiala (Sacramento) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Thursday was a tough-luck night for Fresno centerfielder Andrew Stevenson. The lefty doubled three times, but was stranded at second base on each occasion.
Thursday also snapped a streak of seven consecutive non-regulation games between the Grizzlies and Sacramento. The clubs' most-recent scheduled nine-inning game had been on May 8, a 4-1 Grizzlies win at Raley Field. The clubs played 10 innings on May 9, a 7-4 Fresno victory, and 10 again on May 10, a 7-6 River Cats win. May 17 featured two seven-inning contests in a doubleheader split at Chukchansi Park following a rainout on May 16 (Game 2 eighth and ninth innings were extras), before SAC swept a doubleheader on May 19, after another rainout on the 18th. Fresno outlasted Sacramento 4-3 in 10 innings on May 20 in the clubs' most-recent meeting before Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th