Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers
San Antonio Missions (55-36) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (42-49)
Game #92/Home Game #47
Friday July 12, 7:05 p.m.
Nelson Wolff Stadium
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Aaron Wilkerson (6-1, 1.79) vs. RHP Josh Staumont (0-4, 2.72)
Quality Doesn't Qualify: Tonight's starter for the Missions, Aaron Wilkerson, has been one of the top starting pitchers in the PCL this season but doesn't have enough innings to qualify for the leaderboard in a number of categories. However, among pitchers with at least 10 starts his 1.79 ERA is second only to New Orleans' Zac Gallen who boasts a 1.77 ERA in 14 starts. Gallen's WHIP (0.77) is also the only one lower than Wilkerson's WHIP of 0.79.
High Five: Cory Spangenberg picked up right where he left off before the All-Star break with another stellar night at the plate last night. The San Antonio utility man went 3-for-4 with 2 runs, a double, a home run, and 5 RBI, which matched a career-high. It was the fifth time this season a Missions player drove in at least five runs in a game. Tyler Saladino has done it twice, Keston Hiura did it once, and Jacob Nottingham had a team-best six-RBI night on June 18 against Reno.
Modest Streak: Spangenberg is currently on a modest five-game hitting streak. It is his sixth hitting streak of at least five games this season. During his current stretch he is batting .455 (10-for-22) with 3 multi-hit games, 5 runs, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 3 home runs, and 10 RBI.
Walking the Line: The Missions have become a more patient team at the plate over the past month. San Antonio drew five walks last night and is tied with Albuquerque in walks for 12th in the Pacific Coast League with 320. Since June 1 however they are seventh in the PCL having drawn 131.
Finding a Groove: Travis Shaw collected a pair of hits last night including a two-run homer in San Antonio's five-run seventh inning. It was Shaw's fourth multi-hit game in 17 games with the Missions. He had seven multi-hit games in 57 games with Milwaukee. In those 57 games with the Brewers Shaw belted six home runs and drove in 13. Already with the Missions he has four home runs and 11 RBI.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING*
Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez)
#TBT: Look at these #youngbucks on the San Antonio Missions! If they work hard, I think they've got a bright future ahead of them. [????] [????] [????] . #sanantoniomissions #oldschoolcool #dodgers #followyourdreams #baseball #mlb
San Antonio Missions Baseball Club (@missionsmilb)
[????]New Store Item Alert[????] Team card sets are now available at the Missions Team Store!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.